Join now - be part of our community!

run a shell script on boot

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

run a shell script on boot

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to run a custom shell script when a Sony Android TV boots up?

The reason for me pursuing this is to workaround the fact that the developer options background process limit value resets to "Standard limit" on boot and I've found a way to change this value in an adb shell.

My thinking is that if it's possible to change this value at the adb shell cli, it should also be possible to change it via a shell script..ideally in an automatic way at boot time.

Many thanks

Joe

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Joelippa,

I don't have any definitive information on this for you but you can contact the support team for advice here.

Best wishes,

EdwinaU

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

Hi EdwinaU,

Thanks I've pinged support via twitter with a link to this forum thread.

Cheers

Joe

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

The response from Sony support after they read this thread:

Screenshot_20180219-212028.png

Well done Sony support, top job.

I wouldn't be forced to pursue this type of "self fix" if the TV that you manufactured that I paid a lot of money for didn't perform so diabolically.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@joelippa which kind of answer did you expect? You are asking how to hack their product because you don't know how to do it...

BTW AndroidTV works just fine without limiting the background job number, leaving to Android when and which task to stop. At least on my set.

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

@rooobb thank you for your helpful response. You've ignored the part where I said I'm being forced to pursue this type of "self fix" because I'm seeing performance issues.

It's nice to hear that everything is fine for you and your set. Perhaps you've never heard of the term "your mileage may vary".

I suggest it could be useful for you if you try and keep in mind that not everyone is the same as you and not everyone will see the same problems.

"AndroidTV works just fine without limiting the background job number" is an assumption on your part and is not a fact.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Dear @joelippa in order to speak about fact and not personal feelings I created this thread https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/how-really-slow-is-android-tv/td-p/2429785

that shows exactly what I mean by the performance of my own tv: did you have a look at it?

If your TV has the same ATV2 architecture as mine (regardless of the money spent and model since they have the same SoC that support Android), you have two possibilities:

• you check the performance of my tv and still think that they are very low: I cannot do anything about it, anyone can fix his own expectation
  • your tv perform very low compared to mine: we can check whatever difference you have on your set that impair its performance. I didn't do any special trick on mine

May you agree with me at least on this?

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

@rooobb I've taken a look at your thread. I'll go as far saying that I agree with the thrust of what it's attempting to achieve: performance comparison between Sony TV users. I won't say anything further here because it would be off topic for this thread.