Join now - be part of our community!

samba.tv bundled with Android 7.0

adrianc02
Explorer

samba.tv bundled with Android 7.0

Android 7 is a big improvement in terms of responsive over 6 but does anyone know how to permantly decline the samba.tv application? I declined setting it up during upgrade but am being prompted to do so when going into the YouView TV guide after each time the TV has been turned on. I have tried stopping/disabling the application.

cheers

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
RoyMill2230
Explorer

It's time Sony stopped ignoring customers commentsR McG

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi

I have some interest in this thread because I purchased a Sony Bravia 65XE8596 from John Lewis last Friday night and it’s being delivered next Wednesday but, since placing the order, I came across an article concerning Samba TV and, it was quite worrying for me because Sony seems to be pushing Samba TV down the throats of buyers which, in turn, appears to be upsetting a lot of buyers who have purchased Sony TV,s with the Android OS!

The latest update for the TV that I have ordered is v6.2602 dated the 31st May 2017!  Is Android 7.0 due to be released soon?  Is so, then that would be the update to install but, it’s still got Samba TV.

I have read many threads on Samba TV and, despite the fact that users have tried to get rid of it by disablement, it’s not working so, unless this can be resolved before next Wednesday, I will be cancelling my order. 

All help/advice appreciated!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Is Android 7.0 due to be released soon?  Is so, then that would be the update to install but, it’s still got Samba TV.

2017 XE models with firmware 6.2602 are already based on Nougat. Samba TV has actually been introduced with Nougat.

Nougat has yet to be release for ATV1 based TVs from 2015 and beginning of 2016. Yours already has it.

profile.country.GB.title
rfwilmut
Explorer

@Peeoff- the method I posted some time back worked for me, and Samba has not returned.

1. If you had disabled Samba in settings, re-enable it.

2. Reboot the TV. Wait for the pop-up to appear.

3. Press the button to set up Samba.

4. In the setup pane which opens press 'Next' then select the link to privacy / Terms & Conditions (I'm doing this from memory so the wording may be approximate but it's pretty obvious).

5. In the next pane choose Disagree and Disable.

6. Confirm this in the next pane.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yes, you are not bothered by the pop-up anymore. Samba still contacts its servers though, see here.

profile.country.GB.title
got2avekayanow
Explorer

Yeah, as people are indicating, you can't get rid of it altogether but you can disable it (though that seems the wrong way around to me, surely they should be aking my permission to be on my £1K 4K TV, not the other way around) So what is this all about do you think. I had the notion that $ony had ballsed up the epg so badly that they wanted someone else to do it, farmed it out to Samba who don't want us to be able to record so that we are forced to use their systems and £ony agreed completely underestimating how important it is to us to have the ability to record TV.

I'm sure that's wrong and I don't follow the politics of TV but that's the way it feels.. . I tend to buy a TV and not even think about it again for four or five years (hopefully, though this tv has changed that because of this lousy software, resetting software every week grumble moan).Anyway, good luck with your new tv.

profile.country.GB.title
RoyMill2230
Explorer

Sony should take responsibility for this mess and either have the Samba removed or provide the means to be able to say NO THANKS.
Let’s have a reply from Sony.
R McGahan

Sent from my iPad
BigVP1984
Explorer

Thank you for the instructions. Works for my Sony XE80.

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

In reply to BigVP1984 & all previous posters about 'Samba Interactive TV'.

When I first switched on MY Sony Bravia (KD43XE8396) in Sept 2017 and went through set-up I selected disagree & disable, at first opportunity.

This TV still has the software version 'PKG6.2602.0065EUA'.

((((I have no idea what 'version' of Android this is, being that 'versions often have small incremental updates, after initial release of a 'main version number'. So is it 'full fat 6', 7 'lite', 'full fat 7' or somewhere in between?))))

This made little or no difference at all, since the 'Samba crap' still popped up but not as often. Unfortunately sometimes when it popped up I had to select 'later', several times.

I just went into Settings, & under 'TV',  open 'Apps'.

I scrolled (a loooong way down aphabetically) to 'Samba Services Manager'. Selected Force Stop, Disabled, Cleared cache & other 'memory' with any data in it. I also DISABLED NOTIFICATIONS, and removed 'Permission' from whatever was 'given' permission. 

Unfortunately, Also in Settings, Under 'System Preferences', the entry for 'Samba Interactive TV will still be there. It will not 'open', so who knows what this crsp is actually doing - if anything given previous steps carried out.

I have had to do all this THREE times, at Sony's 'suggestion' - WITH REMOTE help for Bravia Sync NOT working properly EVER - since this & 'other buggy OS issues' caused a need for 'factory data re-set' - again.

Unfortunately the 're-set' deleted an as yet unwatched 'free 4k movie' from Google (with a 'value' of about £15)', that was a 'gift' to new purchasers.

Thanks for that Sony.

To 'Sony/Samba' 😡😡😡👊👊👊👎👎👎 you are total f***wits!!!!!

First_Knight

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

So is it 'full fat 6', 7 'lite', 'full fat 7' or somewhere in between?

Package number is not in relation to the Android version. Your TV with 6.2602 is based on Android TV 7.0 Nougat.