Join now - be part of our community!

Series recordings fail on XR55A80J

profile.country.GB.title
CinnamonJalapeno

Series recordings fail on XR55A80J

I have a USB hard drive plugged in to my XR55A80J for recording programmes on FreeSat. I set a recording up as being for the whole series by going to the programme guide, selecting the programme, choosing Record and selecting the option for the series.

The first episode records correctly. However, subsequent episodes in the series fail to record. In the Timer List, the title for subsequent episodes gets replaces with "Searching for next episode" and the date is shown as a non-existent date (Sat 2 Jan, whereas 2nd Jan was a Sunday).

Anyone else had this? Is there a fix for it?

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

Hi @HannahEd01 

I have already seen that help page and yes it's states that the a80j is indeed compatible with the Freesat app.

But..... I have since been in contact with Freesat themselves and they say that the Sony a80j TV is in no way compatible with the Freesat app either on your phone/tablet or on the TV itself.

profile.country.GB.title
CinnamonJalapeno

@HannahEd01 Just to check my understanding: you're using Sony's built-in recording functionality, and it successfully automatically records a full series?

I am on the latest software, and and as others have found, mine will not record anything other than the first episode.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey M1ck-65, I don't know about that! Try contacting Sony maybe?

@ CinnamonJalapeno, nope, didn't try to record a series, but series are on apps, right?are you SURE you're not using the app? the FREESAT app? If you're not then contact Sony, they know their stuff better.

profile.country.GB.title
CinnamonJalapeno

@HannahEd01 wrote:

@ CinnamonJalapeno, nope, didn't try to record a series, but series are on apps, right?are you SURE you're not using the app? the FREESAT app? If you're not then contact Sony, they know their stuff better.

How do you know recording a series works if you haven't tried recording a series?

As I have said more than once, including in the title and in the very first post describing the problem, the problem is it doesn't record a series properly. It will record a single episode, but no subsequent episodes. I already know it will record a one-off, as stated in the very first post, but the point of this thread is the series recording feature does not work.

And as I have also said before, I am not using an app. I am absolutely certain of this, and even described the process in the very first post. I have not downloaded any recording apps! I am using the TV's built-in recording feature, on the Sony TV, using only the Sony TV remote control that came with the TV. To quote myself: 

I set a recording up as being for the whole series by going to the programme guide, selecting the programme, choosing Record and selecting the option for the series.

The first episode records correctly. However, subsequent episodes in the series fail to record. In the Timer List, the title for subsequent episodes gets replaces with "Searching for next episode" and the date is shown as a non-existent date (Sat 2 Jan, whereas 2nd Jan was a Sunday).

And as I've also said before, I have contacted Sony. They haven't bothered replying.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

HI @HannahEd01 

I'm pretty sure that Freesat know whether or not their app is compatible or not.

Just for clarification, the Freesat app is only compatible with their own and Humax boxes.

It's more likely that Sony made the mistake, or confusing the word app with their half baked implementation of the Freesat channels.

Regarding the series recording, it doesn't work on my a80j either. The option is there to series record and you can set it. But it will only record the first show, but fails with the following shows.... Try it.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, I think I wasn't clear. I don't record series. For all what I know about the compatible models is the article I shred before. Since there is a contradiction between the two parties I suggested contacting them. For whom who doesn't get replies, try the chat, they reply instantly. I hope that would help you even slightly.