Join now - be part of our community!

Side loading apps

profile.country.GB.title
joprett
New

Side loading apps

I am am having difficulty side loading an app from my android phone. Can anybody help me please ?

John P

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Ive also re-edited my first post to inlcude instructions for anyone visiting the Topic in the future.

It is just showing the way that I Sideload my Apps.

Oh wow. It's totally disappeared !!   It had pictures for explanations as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Quinnicus wrote:

@Jecht_Sin

Ignore me - it seems that if you have set up a USB drive to use as internal storage, one MUST have that USB drive connected.  If the USB drive is disconnected then you MUST choose 'forget' storage, in order for you to access the TVs internal files.......

Well.. yes. If you decide to use an external device as "internal memory" and you disconnect that USB device Android doesn't have any space available where to temporary download a file from Google Drive.. :smile:

At least in the way it is implemented. Personally I would have duplicated the "/sdcard" area instead of using either the internal or external memory. I mean. that's what it is done for "/app" (which is the reason why we can have apps in both the internal and external memory and move them around). I don't know, I suppose the Linux kernel even allows to make use use of two or more partitions merged into a single virtual device ("/sdcard"), but I am not sure about it. And if it does, I am not sure our kernel version does support it anyway (maybe it started with version 4.x.y).

Oh, btw. That is also one reason why my externel memory going Read-Only messes up various things. For exemple, with some apps (not all. Just some to make things even more complicated), the Google Play store tries to download the temporary apk into "/sdcard" for a later installation, but being the "/sdcard" Read-Only Google Play gets stuck in "Downloading".

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Northern_Lights wrote:

Ive also re-edited my first post to inlcude instructions for anyone visiting the Topic in the future.

It is just showing the way that I Sideload my Apps.

Oh wow. It's totally disappeared !!   It had pictures for explanations as well.

@Northern_Lights - I'll ask the forum manager if its in the spam filtered area.  It'll be Monday however.

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Thanks for that Quinnicus.  It took me over an hour to compile it.  It contains edited photos from my TV screen.

profile.country.GB.title
joprett
New

Many thanks for your post re side loading. I have been trying for the last few days to complete the download but to no avail. I have the explorer and to launcher but am struggling with the app I particularly want and that is MotoGP app. Can't find it in the list on Googleplay. Have you any further suggestion please .
Joprett.

Sent from my iPad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

@Quinnicus wrote:

@Jecht_Sin

Ignore me - it seems that if you have set up a USB drive to use as internal storage, one MUST have that USB drive connected.  If the USB drive is disconnected then you MUST choose 'forget' storage, in order for you to access the TVs internal files.......

Well.. yes. If you decide to use an external device as "internal memory" and you disconnect that USB device Android doesn't have any space available where to temporary download a file from Google Drive.. :smile:

@Jecht_Sin - thats exactly what I was doing :rofl:  I just assumed that removing USB drive, I would still be able to access /sdcard of internal memory.  Apparently not.

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Hi Joprett,   my reply to you has disappeared for the moment it was posted a few days ago and re-edited with images.  But in it I said that you have to download a  .apk  file for Sideloading.

so you need the  motogp.apk  file.   Not the motogp App file from a Google Play store.

You can do a search in Google for it and theres a number of websites for it.

Heres one of them :   https://apkpure.com/motogp%E2%84%A2/com.dorna.officialmotogp

If you need anymore help come back and ask.