Join now - be part of our community!

Sky Q 4K - Wide Mode Unavailable

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Goggle-Box
Explorer

Sky Q 4K - Wide Mode Unavailable

I have just connected a Sky Q box to a KD-65X9005C TV via HDMI 1 input set to enhanced mode.  The Sky Q box is set for 2160p 10 bit and everything is working fine except for one issue:  the TV no longer allows Wide Mode (Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom), to be changed. The TV displays the message "Not available with current signal" when the Wide Mode button is pressed on the Sony remote.  If the Sky Q box is set to 1080p output, Wide Mode is restored as usual. This appears to be a Sony TV issue not allowing Wide Mode with 4K Hdmi input. The Sony TV also does not allow Wide Mode if viewing 4K via the built in Netflix, YouTube etc.

My question, then, is there some way to get Wide Mode working with 4K Hdmi input or streamed content?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Goggle-Box

You are quite right, I have added this to the bugs and issues list:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2265826#M14471

Im in the process of an update of those bugs and issues thread too :slight_smile:  ('bout time i got my butt into gear and updated them !)

I will also test other 4K sources later too - ones you mentioned like Netflix etc.

Cheers

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Risc0n - If your still lurking around these forums, are you able to test by any chance and confirm? (I dont have Sky Q)

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Does not work here either. Think I read this is by design when displaying a 4K signal?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Risc0n - it probably is by design, but still cant find information to state that :slight_smile:

Im assuming that at 2160p resolution, the TV is set to 16:9 format anyhow - therefore these options would be disabled.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Goggle-Box

Is there a particular reason why you would need Wide-Zoom etc when viewing 4K content via Sky Q?

profile.country.GB.title
Goggle-Box
Explorer

When viewing films (primarily) 1/3 of the screen is black (top and bottom black bars).  My preference has always been to zoom the picture so the whole screen is used. I appreciate this loses some of the picture and its a compromise but I didn't buy a 65" inch 4K tv just to have 1/3 of it blank.  This has always been possible with 1080p why not with 2160p? (Same screen ratios) I don't see why the two inputs should be treated differently.  Choice here is the key in my opinion and seems to be something that should just work.

profile.country.GB.title
Goggle-Box
Explorer

To put this another way - why has Wide Mode been disabled for 2160p whilst it has always been available for 1080p?

profile.country.GB.title
Goggle-Box
Explorer

@Anonymous

As this has been confirmed by multiple people (well 2 so far anyway) can this be added to the 2015 Android issues list?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Goggle-Box

You are quite right, I have added this to the bugs and issues list:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2265826#M14471

Im in the process of an update of those bugs and issues thread too :slight_smile:  ('bout time i got my butt into gear and updated them !)

I will also test other 4K sources later too - ones you mentioned like Netflix etc.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Goggle-Box
Explorer

@Anonymous

Many thanks