Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 43" X80J - no youview or iplayer/itvhub/all4 showing

profile.country.GB.title
SamTheShrew
Explorer

Sony 43" X80J - no youview or iplayer/itvhub/all4 showing

Replaced our aging Bravia with the 2021 X80J model yesterday with google TV, but we cannot get youview or BBC iplayer/ITV hub/all4 to show in the apps.  On TV guide, you cannot go backwards in time as you would normally be able to do via youview.

One of the reasons for purchasing this TV was so that we would have these facilities.  Sony itself clearly say that these are part of the features of this TV yet when you try to use google to locate them, it says not compatible or available with this device.  Is it faulty or am I doing something wrong?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x80j-series/specifications#features

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @SamTheShrew 

Please see, and probably add to, this existing thread on the same subject, a few positions down, but still on page 1 here:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/where-are-iplayer-and-itv-hub-apps-on-new-a90j-2021-oleds...

It’s always worth using the search option above to query for your issue before posting, if only to see if anyone else has the issue, and be reassured that you are not alone.

But right now, you will all need to decide if you are going to wait for Sony to fix this egregious fubar, or send the sets back as ‘goods not as described’ and choose, for example, the corresponding LG or Samsung TV, both of which have a full complement of Players, though they can’t quite match the Sony picture quality.

And some retailers are apparently giving disgruntled Sony buyers smartsticks with the apps on, to tide them over unless or until Sony fix this, rather than face a tsunami of returns.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
SamTheShrew
Explorer

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Decisions to be made!

Devonmaid
New

I’ve had the same problem. Bought this tv 5weeks ago and was told by Sony customer services that all catch up tv apps would be available shortly. So definitely mid sold as blurb on tv clearly implied that these apps were already available. So couldn’t watch any sport/program that I missed going out live. Would definitely never recommend this make to anyone. Compensation needed as I can’t return my tv as had it now for over 28 days! Shame on you Sony!!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey, you can still enjoy the catch-up TV content by using your mobile device to cast content to your  TV until the app situation is resolved. BBC also works I believe.

profile.country.GB.title
GenericUserName

I got an A84J from a retailer recently. They took over a week to deliver it.

I just checked and found out that these features are missing. Yet they're advertised on the retailer's website. My 28 days for a return run out a day before Christmas.

I'll be going to the retailer this week and asking ***** they're doing advertising these features when these features aren't provided (the only caveat is "Some features are UK only" last I checked I was in the UK) I bought this because my previous LG TV broke within 2 and a half years. I had assumed Sony, especially their Bravia line of TVs were premium models with pretty much everything. I've been fairly disappointed.

I could connect to a PC (which will cost me a fair amount of money in electricity bills) or get a dongle (which will take up one of the 2 120Hz ports as I assume the other two don't have eARC passthrough.

So if I use a PC I get a higher electricity bill and have to use an extra set of controls. If I use a dongle I lose the ability to connect a PC/Console over one of the two 120Hz ports.

It's false advertisement plain and simple. Said false advertisement has been recorded and documented. Even though the TV is cheaper than dragging a big retailer to court that's still on the table for me. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey GenericUserName, Sony has responded to that saying the apps will be available soon. If you're mis-sold the TV as it's supporting these apps, I definitely recommend contacting your retailer.