Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A90J settings with Sonos Arc

profile.country.GR.title
Pascal80
Explorer

Sony A90J settings with Sonos Arc

Will someone advice the correct settings for connecting the Sonos Arc to HDMI 3 (eArc/Arc) of the 83A90J?

HDMI Signal, Sound and Audio Output menus.

Lately the sound seems to lack sharpness and detail. It's like the high frequencies are not heard or are much lower in volume. I don't know why that is. I tried factory reset, disconnecting everything and connecting again, playing with settings on Sonos but the problem still remains. Sonos even replaced the Arc but that hasn't fixed it.

Tags (3)
15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Pascal80 

It may well be worth getting your ears syringed, if you haven’t had that lately.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GR.title
Pascal80
Explorer

My ears are not the problem and I'm not the only one who has noticed this drop in quality. Thank you for the very helpful reply.

profile.country.GR.title
Pascal80
Explorer

I noticed that when I switch from eArc Auto to Off the sound is much crisper and loud. Why would eArc Auto make the sound so lifeless? Is there a fix?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Pascal80 

You’re welcome.

Switched eARC off where - on the TV or on the Sonos?

Depending on how the two devices interoperate, you have either switched the path to the soundbar off, and are now listening to the TV sound, or you have dropped the path down to ARC only, which means that anything you were getting before in Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital Plus/DTS HD Master Audio has now dropped to Dolby Digital or DTS, or worse, to PCM Stereo, depending on how you have things configured.

These should not sound better….

profile.country.GR.title
Pascal80
Explorer

You are wrong. Arc can do dolby digital plus and dolby digital plus with atmos. You dont need eArc for that. Can someone who's actually knowledgeable reply to this question? 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Pascal80 

I’ll give you Dolby Digital Plus, lossy, and the lossy sort-of-Atmos that Netflix serve up over it, but I am sticking to my guns on true, uncompressed, audio:-

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

But you still haven’t answered the question of what, exactly, you have switched off on which device with the eARC, and even someone ‘actually knowledgeable’ will need that answer to help you further 😢

profile.country.GR.title
Pascal80
Explorer

In the Sony audio output menu there's an option for eArc and the options are Auto and Off. That's what I'm talking about. There's no such option in the Sonos Arc settings.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Pascal80, try all options until you find what suits you, and works well with the Sonos bar. It should be auto if the bar supports eARC, and off if it doesn't. 

profile.country.GR.title
Pascal80
Explorer

Sonos Arc is eArc compatible so eArc is set to auto.

Could an Hdmi CEC device like a Zidoo player be causing a problem to the Sonos.? Or a Sony Blu-ray player?

Also a question I always had is what to select under Hdmi signal for the Sonos Arc. I always thought standard as it doesn't pass through video signals but please let me know if its better to select one of the three enhanced options.