Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AF8 turn on from standby issue

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

Sony AF8 turn on from standby issue

I've updated my Sony AF8 to Oreo and I now have the following issue. The tv wont wake up from standby in the evening but if I turn off/on at the wall it powers on? What's even more strange is that it only happens in the evening.

For example, I watched tv last night and turned it off using the green button on its remote. Just tried this morning and its turned on but I know that when I go to turn it back on this evening it wont work. Will have to turn off/on at the wall and back on.

I updated the tv using the usb method on Sony's website and I downloaded the software from it as well.

Has any one else come across this issue?

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
Jadesa11y

I also too am experiencing problems since updating. My tv tends to not switch on anymore and plays viva Las Vegas randomly by Elvis when I’m browsing through YouTube. Sony has simply been telling me to factory reset to fix any issues but as I can see I’m not the only one with this infuriating issue I feel like it’s making me consider buying a new tv which I cannot afford it’s probably only 3/4 years old aswell. Problem with factory reset to is my tv is set exactly how I want it so it’s gonna take an hour or so to get it back to how I like it if I do that! 😑 when clearly I’m not the issue anyway there new *****ty update is looks lacklustre anyway prefer the old style with more customisation options...
profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

Does anyone have any idea of when the next set of updated are due out?

profile.country.GB.title
jgn88n

Only getting as far as the four android circles If I’m long pressing the power button on the remote! Hardware issue.. great. I have an expensive 49 inch blank screen .. cheers Sony
profile.country.GB.title
af8boy
New

I have exactly the same problem!  Updated my 55" AF8 to Oreo in mid-July 2019 (when prompted by the TV).  It worked perfectly before, but now it only resumes correctly from standby with the remote control about 50% of the time.  When it's unresponsive I have to turn the TV off/on at the plug first.   This is NOT what I expect from a 2018 £2.5k TV.  Please can Sony release a fix/update!!

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

Totally agree, it's not good enough. Does anyone know if you go to the Google Store and uninstall updates will the app default to the original installed? I'm thinking of going through the system apps one by one to see which update is causing the issue.

profile.country.PE.title
jcstoll
Explorer

Last week I removed the USB memory dongle.  The problem stopped.  Almost one week without issues.  Do it.

profile.country.GB.title
af8boy
New

Yes I was about to logon and say the same thing! With the usb thumb drive removed it now turns on from standby ok... not ideal but I rarely used the thumb drive anyway so no big deal.

profile.country.GB.title
kevtuck
Explorer

Yes I agree. I have had no problems since I removed the USB 2 weeks ago. 

profile.country.GB.title
kurtangus
New

Same problem here with the USB stick. Same fix. Any news on if this is being fixed?

profile.country.GB.title
GaryGMB78
Explorer

I had the same problems with the my Sony AG8 not switching on from Standby after I updated the firmware from 7.0 and 8.0.  

I tried doing several Factory Restores but it didn't fix the issue.

I have however seemingly fixed it now by doing a Hard Factory Restore. To do this I unplugged my TV from the wall, held down the power and Volume down button on the TV (not the remote) and plugged the TV back into the wall whilst still holding down power and volume down on the TV until the power on the TV indicator went green.  After this it was just a case of following through the usual setup (I did however have the TV do another reset on me half way through setup, but since then I have not had a single issue with the TV)