Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AF9 & BBC iPlayer - UHD?

profile.country.GB.title
MysteryMan99

Sony AF9 & BBC iPlayer - UHD?

I have recently bought a Sony AF9 and was eagerly looking forward to watching Dynasties in glorious UHD HLG!

However, the iPlayer app does not offer me this option and am pretty sure I am only seeing the HD version.

The AF9 does not appear in the list of supported deviced on the iPlayer help pages and the System Information reports that "Screen & layout resolution: 1280x720"....not a good sign!

Can anyone confirm if UHD in iPlayer should be working on the AF9, please?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi there,

You will find some information about BBC iPlayer UHD live streaming for your model here. You will need to visit the BBC website for more content information. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
MysteryMan99

Thanks for the information. 

I was amazed to see that the AF9 is in the list of "compatible models" even though it appears not to work!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
adspence
Explorer

Well, the information there is clearly rubbish because my Sony AF9 doesn't show UHD on Dynasties either. Who are we supposed to complain to? To be perfectly honest the internal apps are a big problem for me (no BBC UHD, no Dolby Digital on ARC etc), and I've resorted to using external devices such as my Panasonic UB820 UHD BluRay player and Nvidia Shield to run the streaming apps.

profile.country.GB.title
TommyShazam
Explorer

Hi MysteryMan - I just got an AF9 and was about to post the same question!  Seems a real shame that it doesn't seem to be working.  I tried manually changing the HDR setting to HLG in case the TV wasn't auto detecting it, which *seemed* to improve the picture, but I'm not sure its actually working.  How did you get the info about the resolution - I've not found a 'system information' panel?

Tom

profile.country.GB.title
MysteryMan99

I don't think there is a button that displays resolution for the iPlayer - you can only go on what it says on the iPlayer app for the programme. In particular, there should be "UHD" displayed next to Dynasties, but, this is missing on AF9 meaning it is just HD. People with AF8 sets are seeing the UHD!

So, as with a few things, we are waiting for Sony to sort this out!

On the Netflix app then you can use the i+ button (just below 7 on RC) and this will display resultion information.

profile.country.GB.title
Itstonyb

Just a heads up you need to enter the uhd beta in the iplayer settings to get it to allow uhd. 

I had to do this on my a1. 

Also for dynasties in particular hdr is bugged. 

You have to turn it on manually but the option is blocked out unless you go to a hdmi unit before launching the iplayer app. 

Hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
mbart777
Explorer

I got my AF9 (65") in September and it played the UHD test loop (football) in HLG (using the iplayer beta settings menu). A few weeks later I tried to find Dynastied in UHD - no luck - and raised as a issue with Sony customer service. After a few days they came back and said that there was a problem with iplayer UHD on the AF9 (but not AF8 or A1! - bizarre!) and were working on it (is it about paying royaltiesto BBC etc.?)

Someone suggested selecting HLG playback having first gone to an HDMI input. Initally it looked "better" but likely is just additional brightness/contrast rather than resolution.

Come on Sony...it's your latest (otherwise brilliant) flagship TV for goodness sake!