Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Android TV Oreo Experience: Refresh Rate

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sony Android TV Oreo Experience: Refresh Rate

@Kuschelmonschter  may you help me understand how one can check the actual frame rate used by an app (50Hz vs 60Hz)? I have just this feeling that with Oreo Archos player (and Nova Player new incarnation) are as smooth as the stock Video app while I was used to encounter stuttering on them (and this is also quite a goood things since the usability of Video app has been drastically reduced on Oreo :slight_smile: ), but really I do not know how to verify if something changed on the app behaviour. I do not use Motionflow on both while playing films

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Apps can't switch refresh rate via the respective public Android API. Sony simply does not support those. The TV always refreshes at 60Hz except for the integrated tuners and from what I heard also Freeview apps which use some private Sony API (can't verify since I am Austrian).

I typically determine refresh rate using special samples that can be found here. Depending on which framerate samples stutter and which do not (at Motionflow=Off), one can draw some safe conclusions. For me, Video app and Kodi always behaved in a similar way, except for some broken videos.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Thanks, I'll check them on my tv, but as I said contents in 24p that I already own do not stutter any more on Archos/Nova Player. Moreover do you think is fake the setting in Archos/Nova player that set the adaption to Tv rate since it is not supported by Android TV as a whole?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@rooobb  schrieb:

Thanks, I'll check them on my tv, but as I said contents in 24p that I already own do not stutter any more on Archos/Nova Player.

They never did if you parametrized the TV correctly. I executed this test on my BRAVIA with Kodi, using a Nikon DSLR. Perfect 24p. What you have to do is set Motionflow to True Cinema (or Custom with Smoothness=Min) and set Film mode to High. The image processor detects the 3:2 pattern (which is what you get when playing 24p content at 60Hz), reverses it and performs a 5:5 on the 120Hz panel. No interpolation whatsoever. BTW, it is all written in my review...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I use of course TrueCinema and Film to High (otherwise also Video do not apply the pulldown), but previously some clips were stuttering compared to Video playback. Did not have time to check the specific encoding in those films (and being too old now I do not even remember which one :slight_smile: )

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@rooobb  schrieb:

but previously some clips were stuttering compared to Video playback.

I found some Blu-ray rips to be broken in that regard, with the container fps being set to 25 instead of 24. Depending on the player, this could lead to issues.

I do not use Motionflow on both while playing films

I use of course TrueCinema and Film to High

A bit of a contradiction.

Can we please discuss that in a separate thread?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Message move as per request :wink:

BTW you are too precise :wink: but correct .... by not using Motionflow I meant no use of interpolation (as TrueCinema is meant to do)