Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KD-55A89 / casting subtitles

profile.country.LU.title
oopsgr
Explorer

Sony Bravia KD-55A89 / casting subtitles

Hi all, recently bought a new Bravia KD-55A89. Although the first days I could stream movies through my table/phone and subtitles were visible. Since a couple of days no matter what I do I can not cast the subtitles together with the movie.

Even movies that I had recently seen with subtitles in the same TV, now the subtitles do not work.

Tried almost everything, resetting the TV, re-installing the needed apps on my tablet/phone, tried other casting apps, change subtitles filename to match the video filename...no luck.

Has this happen to anyone else (same or other TV)? Any suggestions/tips?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It is not easy to understand what you are casting and how, but assuming you are using DLNA protocol, it doesn't support subtitles at all. Only if embedded in the video streaming

profile.country.LU.title
oopsgr
Explorer

Thanks for replying!  It is indeed DLNA, but I have to disagree. You see it all worked well (including subtitles) for several days, when suddenly decided not to cast the subtitles at all! And that's the most frustrating thing.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It really depends on a complex combination of DLNA server and client capabilities together with the type of subtitles you are using since it is not officially supported by the standard. See here just for reference https://superuser.com/questions/219163/how-to-play-movie-with-subtitles-using-dlna-server/468382#:~:...

profile.country.LU.title
oopsgr
Explorer

Thanks I have read all these. The issue is that everything worked fine with my TV until a couple of days ago and suddenly stopped working. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I understand...but what exactly was working and now is not? Which media server/app are you using on which type of content and using which app on the tv as renderer? beside the basic step (like rebooting the tv)...

profile.country.LU.title
oopsgr
Explorer

The app on my tablet/phone was BubbleUPnP (licenced version) and sometimes also MX player and VLC player.

As renderer was the Media Renderer of the Sony TV. Alternatively I tried the built-in Chromecast, but still no success with the subtitles (not to mention also that in high resolution video I tried to cast the quality rendered was low with lots of lag and  periodical freezes).

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Never tried to use smartphone/tablet as media server, but have you tried reverting the operation and running the multimedia app on the tv and setting it to access your BubbleUPnP server? Does it change anything?