Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KD55XG8196 Android TV - NAS Media Playback - best Android app to achieve playback?

profile.country.GB.title
rjsdavis
Explorer

Sony Bravia KD55XG8196 Android TV - NAS Media Playback - best Android app to achieve playback?

Hello to all

I have the abovementioned Sony TV. I'm tying to find the slickest and most efficient way to access the media files (video files) presently stored on my Western Digital My Cloud NAS drive, and play them on my TV? 

I've been experimenting with the KODI app - but this is really pretty poor. It doesn't show all of the video files that are in the video folder that it has been directed to, and throws up error messages. 

I have installed PLEX onto the NAS drive, and as I write, the drive is still "processing" all of my video and audio files. Whilst there are many, many thousands of files, it is still doing this after about a day of processing. I downloaded the PLEX app last night, and connected it to the PLEX server on my NAS drive, and eventually got a film to stream, but it really didn't want to work at all, and needed to be "retry'd" a number of times before it eventually ran. I am assuming that this is because the NAS drive was "processing" all of my files at the time, as it still is now.... 

What other app solutions are there, that I can download onto my TV? 

At the moment, I'm sort of "making do" by accessing the NAS files on my Android smartphone, and mirror-screening them onto the TV. This is no good in the long-term as it burns through the phone's battery. I've also cast these videos to my Chromecast device which is plugged into the TV, but this is a poor solution due to the sheer number of file types that Chromecast won't play! 

Many thanks for any app or hardware solutions in reply.  

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Title says XG81 now

Screenshot_20201115-014145_Gmail.jpg

@williamfsmith "sorry I made a mistake excuse me for being rude let's start again" could have been enough from @rjsdavis . Don't know how do you know which tv he has.

profile.country.GB.title
rjsdavis
Explorer

You're correct William.

For some reason, I've picked up a stalker that's either guessing, or photoshopping. Either way - too much time on their hands. I don't know why some people become so argumentative on forums when they don't know an answer, or have an actual solution.

I don't suppose you've got any idea do you?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@rjsdavis  be aware that everything is logged into this site: the title was XG7073 and you or someone else changed it only later for this thread. And don't call me a stalker or I'll ask you to be banned.

I know exactly how to make an Android TV work via DLNA with a WD mycloud since mine is working. It's you that are not capable of and for sure you'll never get any more help from me. Bye .

PS: go into your own profile and you'll see the tracking of the thread stating "XG7073" and my doubt about it. Only the First one has been now changed, not all the answers.

Immagine 2020-11-15 191359.png

profile.country.GB.title
rjsdavis
Explorer

@rooobb 

Thank goodness. So glad that my hopelessly incompetent stalker, who hasn't got a clue, is going to leave me alone now.

There were no answers. Just awful guesses.

profile.country.GB.title
Derharne
Explorer

I have a KD55XG8796 and I use NOVA video player from the Google play store. It finds my WDCloud as an SMB drive and It's excellent, has audio bypass so dts and dolby digital files play fine, also HDR files play fine and look great. 

profile.country.GB.title
rjsdavis
Explorer

@Derharne 

Many thanks for this suggestion - I'll download this app this evening and give it go....