Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-43XE7004

profile.country.GB.title
lancer165
New

Sony KD-43XE7004

This Android TV is advertised as a SMART TV, well no it is not, this is the Dumbest TV you could buy. Sony has decided you can only have the 12 Apps which they offer you and several of them are only in Spanish. You can't have access to any other Apps. So if I want google maps, instructional apps or games, no chance. WHY? is Sony afraid people may download KODI? well, that's dumb as the TV has an HTMI socket. They give you Amazon and Netflicks but if you live in Spain you will only get a limited content on both which is naughty as you get far more on the UK and even more on the American sites and you still pay the same subscription fee, talk about a rip-off. I'm English living in Spain just like 2 million others and it is the most prevalent language in Europe but you will not even get an English manual not even one online. These problems could have been easily avoided (A) an online manual in English which is strange as the controller is in English, work that one out. (B) A software upgrade.  allowing say Google Apps which other Bravias have. This could have been a much better TV if someone had thought it out. Before some smart guy says this is a European Model (I Know) but I live in Europe.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You started with a wrong assumption: your tv is not an android one! If you were misleaded by the reseller you should contact him.

profile.country.GB.title
lancer165
New

Thanks for the Info...You are correct I've discovered it is sadly not an
Android device, I was sure when I purchased it that it was, so I must have
mixed it up with another model. Time to eat humble Pie......I was annoyed
with this unit in that it didn't offer more than just a few selected apps
as the TV itself is great the picture quality is fantastic. The speakers
are somewhat lacking in Bass but I rectified that with the Sony HT-MT300
soundbar and subwoofer. I would have liked a manual in English even if it
was only available as a download.
I hope Sony plan to add more Smart Facilities to this unit as this is one
area that is sadly lacking only12 apps and most of those are only in
Spanish.
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sony do not release anymore any manual due (i think) to cost and environment, so you should download your manual from internet anyway (and sure they are available in english).

There are ways, a little complex, to workaround the country you live in (normally they check both the country you declare during the setup AND the IP location of your provider). If you have knowledge on that (or a friend)  you can try to set it up as if you were in UK.

The app are updated now and then, but do not expect too much, on Android there is a wider developer community, on proprietary platform far less

profile.country.GB.title
lancer165
New

Thanks rooobb, Sadly No, there are no English manuals online for this model, strange as the controller is in English so you would have thought it simple to put an online manual for it in English. Also, there seems to be little interest in adding more apps to the selection you are offered. A pity really as a simple upgrade would correct the limitations of this unit to make it a really smart TV. I have seen other far lower priced TVs that offer far more online content. I must admit adding the Sony HT-MT300 Soundbar has really made the sound quality very impressive.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

Lancer165 do not worry, you did not miss anything. Android TVs are not that smart neither and their hardware does not allow you to do more than just using it as simple common TV. Software/drivers even worse. Most probably you saved some money by not taking the Android version. With that money I would suggest you to buy a good Android TV box and you will be fine.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Luigi_r you are telling your own story about android tv. It is one of the smartest and flexible one even if not perfect.
profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

Of couse everybody here speaks based on their own experience. But I have seen too many unresolved bugs and user complains here. I'm just one of those users that has been disappointed by the product and by Sony. If you are one of those happy with the product, it is better for you. It was simply my point of view and my humble suggestion.