Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-43XG8196 and Firestick 4k 2nd generation

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

Sony KD-43XG8196 and Firestick 4k 2nd generation

I intend to tidy up the rat's nest behind my TV and was thinking of an alternate way to connect my Firestick 4k 2nd gen.  It comes supplied with its own power supply rated at DC 5,25V 1A  which plugs into a 13 amp socket.

I have read online that the 4K stick has a 12nm CPU and has a maximum consumption of only 3.9W, and they say that a 5V 1A USB port on a TV  will power this TV-Stick.

I was hoping to just plug the USB power lead straight into my USB 3.1  Gen 1 port on the TV, therefore, freeing up a 13amp socket.

The Sony KD-43XG8196 TV comes will the following USB ports and was wondering if I could use one of them to power the stick, the (USB 3.1 Gen 1 blue) looks like the best candid, but it also says " When connecting a large USB device, connect to the USB 1 port " 

But, USB 1 and 2 are only 2.0 USB

Anyone on here tried these ports to power their Firesticks?

Any advice would be welcome

cheers Riggie

P.S.  this is the info in the TV Manual  below

USB 1/2, USB 3 (HDD REC)*3    
• Connecting a large USB device may interfere with other connected devices beside it.
• When connecting a large USB device, connect to the USB 1 port.
• Connect a USB HDD device to the USB 3 port (USB 3.1 Gen 1 blue).
( 3 USB HDD device for REC feature)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

The connection change came about because of the low MBps speed but I have sorted this problem, for now,  the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands on the NowTV router were using the same SSIDs so the Firestick found it easier to connect to the 2.4GHz giving me a really low Mbps so I renamed the 2.4GHz band. So the Firestick always connects to the 5GHz at around 25Mbps which is more than enough. Working fine at the moment so will leave the power supply until another day.

Cheers

everyone thanks for your help

Riggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Riggie5454 

Large here means physically large, such that it might block the other ports.

There should be an HDMI tail with the Firestick, so you can stand it off a little from the USB 3 port and avoid this problem.

USB 2 ports are rated for 0.5A, USB 3 for 0.9A. So you need to use the USB 3 port.

3.9W off 5V is 0.78A. So under the 0.9A available from USB 3, but too much for USB 2. Nominally, at least.

If the Firestick tries to draw too large an amperage, though, the USB port won’t let it, and the Firestick will then complain.

The highest power draw will be when the device is updating itself; these things can chug along quite nicely in normal use, but will request their mains power supply, if needed, during such an update.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

Thanks, royabrown2 for the information, I foolishly thought just for one moment that "larger" may have meant support for 2.5 HD motors, etc with a little bit more power,  but when I think about it you can't!  it must be the same USB 2.0 standard for all. 

Gonna give it a go soon,  will get back.

once again thanks for your help,

Riggie

profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

The connection change came about because of the low MBps speed but I have sorted this problem, for now,  the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands on the NowTV router were using the same SSIDs so the Firestick found it easier to connect to the 2.4GHz giving me a really low Mbps so I renamed the 2.4GHz band. So the Firestick always connects to the 5GHz at around 25Mbps which is more than enough. Working fine at the moment so will leave the power supply until another day.

Cheers

everyone thanks for your help

Riggie