Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-55A1

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

Sony KD-55A1

Hello, I am looking for advice regarding my A1 OLED TV.

The TV has developed a fault whereby parts of the picture has a green tinge, following advice from forums I displayed a red screen and you can see a sizeable dark shading in the picture.

The TV is 4 years old but has a 5 year warranty.

I contacted Hughes TV who sent out an engineer who could see the issue so Hughes are attending on Monday to take the set back for investigation.

The engineer suggested meanwhile I contact Sony support to see if the can advise of any rectification.

I spoke with Sony support yesterday and they said they would deal with this issue.

Someone is ringing back today.

My question is who would be best dealing with this Sony or Hughes who sold me the set.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Headhurts 

In landscape on iPad, if you had held the iPad the other way up, it would have come out OK. The trouble is, that’s not the natural way to hold it in landscape.

On the iPad, pull up the photo, choose Edit, choose the straighten icon, choose the 90 degree rotation that appears top left on the screen, step it round four times, and then Save it Again. That fixed it for me.

There are two answers to your next question; would Sony do it, and should Sony do it?

But Sony seem to be saying it is burn-in, and so a thing that happens with OLED sets 😢

And it sort-of looks like burn-in, and it sort-of doesn’t, and especially it is a strange place to get burn-in, which is usually top left from a DOG, or a band along the bottom from a ticker.

Does the pattern look at all like the shadow of something you had on the TV screen a very great deal? If not, I would doubt burn-in even more.

Put your faith in Hughes, see what Monday brings.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

To help I thought a photo of the issue may be useful.

95C23E3A-B27D-4140-A802-90C062D34929.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Headhurts 

Who is the warranty with, Hughes or Sony?

But Hughes, as the retailer who sold you the set, have the prime responsibility here, and as they are taking that responsibility, let them.

I’m sure if they need advice from Sony, or Sony can fix it but Hughes can’t, Hughes will work with Sony on this; and if the set can’t be fixed, then Hughes are in a much better position than Sony to help you with a replacement.

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

Thanks for the reply and as Hughes are picking the set up on Monday and leaving me with a suitable loan set I do tend to agree with you.

On the receipt it does just say 5 year warranty.

To add context Hughes in the past have been fantastic the first A1 on delivery had a flicker so was replaced and the second one after about a week developed several lines down the screen so again it was replaced with an excellent attitude from the retailer.

I have had dealings with Sony support in the past but it was a bit hit and miss with promised call backs not made, in fact they were supposed to be phoning me back between 0900-1100 but nothing received yet.

I was sort of hoping that in the interim their service would have improved.

Sony make such beautiful sets and we love the look of our A1.

Again many thanks for taking the time to reply.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Headhurts 

I hear nothing but good reports of Hughes.

Less so of Sony 😛

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

Aaaah!

Its so frustrating, no phone call as promised from Sony support even after asking me for a 2 hour time frame.

How is it a company as large as Sony cannot get this right?

No such problems in my experience from the likes of Amazon or Apple who have never let me down with phone calls.

To cap it off the agent asked me to give feedback following our talk and I did give him top marks, it’s a shame I cannot go back and change it, by the way he was apparently in Egypt.

Thanks for the replies I will now leave this with Hughes to deal with.

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

I have had an email describing the issue as image retention which is normal for OLED technology.

I was asked to carry out a panel calibration x 3 which I did and a panel refresh which I had already done last night.

If anything following these instructions the issue looks worse (photo below)

Image retention seems strange particularly as there are lines going side to side, I very rarely watch any news where ticker lines could cause this.

The green tinge is still showing particularly on faces when the are in certain parts of the screen.

Do forum members think this could be the issue and are Sony right in trying to blame this as the problem? I thought image retention was temporary.

I will still allow Hughes to uplift this on Monday, luckily for me the initial engineer who came out on Monday could plainly see the green tinge proble.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

7852A385-74F3-49C1-AEEF-E387EBAB08A5.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

This illustrates the green tinge, you can see the face in the middle is awful compared with the ones either side.

It’s been a while since I watched this movie which has an awesome soundtrack.

67D499E8-2DB9-4E88-B464-18C38C4B3380.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

Can someone advise why the photos are uploading upside down?
I have been reading the forum instructions but cannot find an answer but I do concede I’m not the best at understanding these things.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Headhurts 

The green tinge is because the red LEDs aren’t pulling their weight, as per your first screenshot. It would be useful to see a screenshot of your TV displaying a white screen, where I would expect that the dark patch on the red screen shot would show up as a green patch.

I don’t know about upside down, but my original photo of my GX, the correct way up when originally posted, showed as sideways when looking at the message once posted.

Then when I tried to correct this, Edit would not let me add the corrected photo, hence me having to put it in a separate posting.

How did you get the picture you took? I did mine on an iPad, upright in portrait mode; if I took it in landscape mode, it might have been right, or it might have been upside down, depending on how exactly I gel the iPad.

It doesn’t seem that the metadata for the photo, when copied into a message, includes a correct ‘Top’. But I can, curiously, fix this by taking the iPad Edit option on the photo, and rotating it through 90 degrees four times. It seems that this does add the ‘Top’ metadata as part of acknowledging the rotation.

Searching on Google for ‘why is my picture upside down?’ will get you more than you ever wanted to know about this stuff 😛