Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-55X9005C - Fails Boot-Up - Android animation appears then 4 flashing red lights

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

Sony KD-55X9005C - Fails Boot-Up - Android animation appears then 4 flashing red lights

Purchased this t.v in November 2015 and apart from the occasional minor faults with software etc., it has performed fine. Has now developed a serious problem where, on start up, the t.v goes through the Android animation - displayed the "swirling 4 colored orbs" before screen shuts down and the smart bar at the lower edge flashes with four red pulses - repeating continuously.

Switching off (sometimes overnight - completely disconnected from power socket) and switching on only repeats the above problem.

Research has revealed that this appears to be an LED failure, and a strip-down (by a competent service engineer) reveals this to be the case with three LED's out on the middle of three led boards.

LED's are a common failure with this type of display (backlight LCD's) and are - in the main - readily available.

Not in this case, despite extensive internet searches, phone calls and enquiring with respective professional forums - I am unable source the necessary (preferred) option of replacing all three LED board (216 LED's!!) to prevent near future recurrences of this failure.

I cannot source parts for my t.v, despite it only being a couple of years old!!

My local service centre (Sony) advise me likewise THEY CANNOT SOURCE THESE PARTS!!

The panels can be repaired if individual LED's were available (they are NOT)

The one year warranty has lapsed, there was no extended warranty taken out (as I have access to family repairers) - I simply cannot source the parts.

Can anyone help in this frustrating situation - Please!! 

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

To anyone still following this post/thread - I have had an e-mail from Sony concerning their ACTUAL spare parts support for non-warranted customers - here it is [Quote] :-

"I am contacting you on behalf of Sony's Management to follow up with your query.
 We would like to apologize for any misunderstanding regarding our spare parts & repair policy. We do not sell spare parts direct to customers. However, you can purchase some spare parts from our spare part partner - EET Group.
 I would also like to advise you that it is not safe to repair your television by yourself and it would be best to have it repaired by an trained and authorized engineer. 
 Please contact our main service center for repair options.
 Pacifica: 0191 387 0774 Contact link:
Pacifica 
 Should you have any further inquiries about any other Sony products, please do not hesitate to contact us again by replying to this email.
Hope you have a great day,
Kind regards...."

So, I can now close this post. I have coincidently repaired my T.V with non Sony sourced parts and the help and advice from like-minded people on the internet - cost £60 - Thank you!!!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Davadaam, 

Welcome to the community. 

This sounds really frustrating and I have escalated this. So someone will update this thread when we have more information for you. 

Thanks, 

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Davadaam,

I've just heard back from Support.

They've advised that as your TV is out of warranty, you should contact your nearest service centre and they will be able to offer a chargeable exchange due to the panel issue you are experiencing. 

Please visit the link here to locate your nearest authorised service centre.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

Hi there,

Thanks for reply.

Am I to understand that the Sony Repair Centre will offer me a replacement item and therefore I am NOT able to repair my television? You have mentioned "chargeable replacement" - can you give me a cost? - I have already spoken to the local Sony Repair Centre who have clearly indicated that repair is not possible even for them. It appears then that I am looking at a replacement, so the cost of this service must therefore be known - can you advise please?

Please note, Sony's repair policy contains a provision for owners to obtain parts for "own repair" - It's in their webpages - quote: -

"When your product is out of warranty, acquiring spare parts and fixing your product becomes your decision. Even if your product is out of warranty, don’t hesitate to contact our approved partner (EET Europarts) or our Authorized Service Centers to acquire the part(s) you wish to replace yourself."

I fail to see how Sony can advertise this when it is clearly not (in my case!) a valid option, indeed it is an impossible option as I cannot get parts via those routes - neither Sony Repair Centre nor EET Europarts can help.

Perhaps clarity on this policy is required as it is not what Sony offer and I might add, the above policy was the understanding under which I bought the product (I don't use or need extended warranties as parts are normally available!! - particularily for consummable items such as backlights).

I conclude my response by saying that I/we (my wife and I) bought this higher definition television because of my wife's impaired vision (she has Parkinson's Disease) - it was not a luxury item purchase - A two year life for electrical goods in the price range (at the time) is not a fair transaction - now it appears we have the choice of further (unknown) expense, beyond fair consumeable part replacement, or being proud owners of an expensive "brick" - all because of a replacement part - I simply want to repair my television - Can you confirm the existence (or lack of) the LED backlight strips, Part No. NLAW50350 - 3 of, they must exist somewhere, I would even accept working 2nd hand parts..... 

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

Just a quick update. Have spoken to local Sony Repair Centre - the replacement will cost £930 plus delivery/VAT etc., This is not a fair solution to resolving my predicament - when Sony (or any other manufacturer) lists support for customers - to include provision for replacement parts - then they should be obliged to do just that.

Buying a new television from them hardly amounts to customer support.

What customer would commit to £1200 (plus) for any goods that don't appear to provide the reasonable function that they are purchased for? This along with the fact that another (hefty) sum of money would give them piece of mind for another 2 years!!!

Come on Sony, surely you can do better than this.

I await your reply.... 

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Davadaam, 

I've just heard back from Support and they are unable to comment on the price offered by the service centre.  You can see more details on Sony's warranty terms and conditions here..  If you are still unhappy please feel free to contact the main Sony centre on 0191 387 0774 or via the link here.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

Thanks for reply - however the link regarding warranty conditions and terms is totally irrelevant to this discussion. I am not pursuing a warranty repair. I am simply asking Sony to commit to their policy terms (highlighted be me previously) regarding support for NON-warranted customers - namely the stated support being available through your Sony Repair Centres and the parts outlet you use.

Sony states parts are obtainable through either of these outlets - my experience so far is - this is not the case.

To clarify - I simply want to repair my television - at my expense - I do not want offered a new television (I never did!!) - I simply want access to the consumable parts for backlit lcd televisions - the led panels / led chips.

Lets focus on that objective by Sony answering this question -

** Do non-warranted customers have access via Sony Support to ALL Sony parts - particularily consumable items such as led backlight components (including third party manufactured parts forming part of the construction of said devices) - or do they not? **

If the answer is in the negative, then I personally consider that Sony needs to amend (or indeed remove) their policy statement regarding supply of spare parts (beyond remote controls and stands for t.v's etc.,) as it is not what it presents itself to be. Non-warranted customers CANNOT obtain all serviceable items - the same items I note that are exempted within warranty - Hmmm!.

I accept that leds fail all the time, that is why they are consumable items - they are normally available for after-market purchase - does Sony not believe in providing the same level of reasonable/fair service that is provided by most/if not all, of their competitors?

Please respond to issue marked ** above - that will answer my question and I will pursue my issue along a different avenue.

I believe answering the question, either within your remit as forum moderator, or by referring to a "higher authority" within your organisation, will finally conclude my query (and others viewing this!) 

Sorry for being blunt but I feel we have been dancing around the main issue here....

Thanks (in advance)

profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

I have received an e-mail from <community@eu.sony.com> asking if I could mark this enquiry with "solved" - unfortunately  I can't - because it isn't.

The last post (from a Sony rep.) offered a link to unrelated warranty information and another contact number for Sony.

I have made contact with Sony (or one of their partners) who are unable to answer my query, but they have "escalated" the issue (if I remember correctly) to Sony?? again.  

Thus far, my enquiry regarding availability of spare parts for non-warranted customers is unanswered.

Until that is answered and I can include that information here (for other customers to see) - then I feel I should leave my thread open (and unresolved - so far) 

I will conclude this topic/thread when it is concluded - not before.

profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

To anyone still following this post/thread - I have had an e-mail from Sony concerning their ACTUAL spare parts support for non-warranted customers - here it is [Quote] :-

"I am contacting you on behalf of Sony's Management to follow up with your query.
 We would like to apologize for any misunderstanding regarding our spare parts & repair policy. We do not sell spare parts direct to customers. However, you can purchase some spare parts from our spare part partner - EET Group.
 I would also like to advise you that it is not safe to repair your television by yourself and it would be best to have it repaired by an trained and authorized engineer. 
 Please contact our main service center for repair options.
 Pacifica: 0191 387 0774 Contact link:
Pacifica 
 Should you have any further inquiries about any other Sony products, please do not hesitate to contact us again by replying to this email.
Hope you have a great day,
Kind regards...."

So, I can now close this post. I have coincidently repaired my T.V with non Sony sourced parts and the help and advice from like-minded people on the internet - cost £60 - Thank you!!!

profile.country.PL.title
przem2010
Explorer

Hi Davadaam

I have same problem with my TV. Can you tell me where did you repair your TV and how much it costs?

Regards.