Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-55X9005C - Fails Boot-Up - Android animation appears then 4 flashing red lights

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

Sony KD-55X9005C - Fails Boot-Up - Android animation appears then 4 flashing red lights

Purchased this t.v in November 2015 and apart from the occasional minor faults with software etc., it has performed fine. Has now developed a serious problem where, on start up, the t.v goes through the Android animation - displayed the "swirling 4 colored orbs" before screen shuts down and the smart bar at the lower edge flashes with four red pulses - repeating continuously.

Switching off (sometimes overnight - completely disconnected from power socket) and switching on only repeats the above problem.

Research has revealed that this appears to be an LED failure, and a strip-down (by a competent service engineer) reveals this to be the case with three LED's out on the middle of three led boards.

LED's are a common failure with this type of display (backlight LCD's) and are - in the main - readily available.

Not in this case, despite extensive internet searches, phone calls and enquiring with respective professional forums - I am unable source the necessary (preferred) option of replacing all three LED board (216 LED's!!) to prevent near future recurrences of this failure.

I cannot source parts for my t.v, despite it only being a couple of years old!!

My local service centre (Sony) advise me likewise THEY CANNOT SOURCE THESE PARTS!!

The panels can be repaired if individual LED's were available (they are NOT)

The one year warranty has lapsed, there was no extended warranty taken out (as I have access to family repairers) - I simply cannot source the parts.

Can anyone help in this frustrating situation - Please!! 

Tags (1)
16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

Hi there, Unfortunately the DIY repair is tedious. The t.v. requires stripping down to the display panel. If you are unfamiliar with working with this type of display – thin panel, side LED illumination – don’t attempt. My solution was DIY repair – my problem was there is no source for new LED strips (there are three!!) with a total of 210 LED’s.
I sourced a broken screen t.v. from eBay and recovered the LED panels. Repair was simply achieved by replacement – HOWEVER!! – I cannot establish the age or previous use the LEDs so duration/longevity of repair is unknown.
LED’s have (in this case) approximately 25,000 hours of life BUT this is dependent on use and operating environment of t.v. warm/moist or airy/cool/dry etc.,
Unauthorised repairers can replace individual LED chips but above problem still exists – there are no new components available from Sony – even through Auth. Repairers – sorry!!!
My posts on the Sony Community site were quite dismissive of Sony’s lack of response/support – despite their alleged support intimated through their website.
Ultimately they offered me a new replacement t.v. at a reasonable discounted price – that is the best option I’m afraid, because of the problems with second parts alluded to above.
Any successful repair will unfortunately leave you awaiting the next LED failure and for the 4 flashing lights to appear again – this can only be avoided with availability of NEW parts – Sony doesn’t provide them – I was unable to source them anywhere else – GLOBALLY!!.
Not good news I’m afraid, but my situation is recognised through other (un)authorised Sony repairers (High Street repairers...) Sony doesn’t do spares!!!
Once the chips start failing – I had three dark LEDs – the rest will inevitably follow in quick succession.
To conclude – a repairer (High Street) may have a duff Sony in their shop from which they can salvage working spares or source them through their own contacts – remember every smashed screen, out of warranty is a potential source of used parts.
OR
You may have insurance/extended warranty on t.v. – if so use it.

Sorry for your dilemma – Sonys parts/repair service sucks!!
profile.country.PL.title
przem2010
Explorer

Thank you for your message, much appreciated. Any chance you can write more about how can I apply for discount, with who I need to get in touch?

Thank you once again for the information.

profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

Hello again, sorry I didn’t include all the steps – After raising issue on the community forums (here!!) – I sought advice from my local authorised Sony repair centre (just a mile or two away from me) – you will have such a facility – check the Sony Website or prompt one of the forum moderators for the info. My local repair centre (official one remember!!) had one of their engineers talk through options – one of which was for him to replace the faulty LED (not an official Sony repair!!) BUT he would have to source the LEDs first.
Having sourced my own from eBay – I decided to bite the bullet, obtained the Service/Repair Manual from an online site (£5....) and the parts (3 X LED panels) at £40 from a kind fellow eBay seller – effecting the repair but for how long??

Your next step, I suggest, is to contact your local Authorised Sony Repairer and make them aware of your plight, they may/may not offer an “unofficial repair”, but they can also access a direct online database that will allow them to give you a price for replacement television (if that is your choice – see below!!).

To conclude – I have recently suffered a repeat of the flashing light symptoms after three months – I decided that repairs NOT using new parts is risky and venturing into the unknown – I could effect a repair again – I have stripped the t.v. down – it has suffered one(1) blown LED on one of the other two LED panels (this is sufficient to cause a shutdown on t.v. because the logic board inside it monitors voltage fluctuations on the backlights (LEDs)) – even though the loss of one LED would result in negligible change to display – safety issue I suppose!!.

I have purchased another t.v. (different brand – better buyer support!) and may!! – if I find the time and be bothered, fix the Sony.

In effect Sony have lost me as a customer for their television brand – shame really, they are better than average in other products.

Good luck in your endeavours – don’t waste money on replacing this particular model of t.v. – I was offered a new one for £1300 (incl. P & P) – as they have demonstrated a life of only 2 years. My new t.v. cost less than the replacement and is better in my opinion!

So, if you are considering replacement other than repair – my advice/experience is – shop around, there are great deals out there. The technology and picture quality offered by the KD-55X... is 3 years old and cheaper/better brands are now available – better warranty and customer support.

Once bitten, twice shy....

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
profile.country.GB.title
mag24750
Explorer

Hello 

Im sorry to disturb you but  just want to find out what part yu bought for this TV,  SonyRe: Sony KD-55X9005C - Fails Boot-Up - Android animation appears then 4 flashing red lights, same problem , if you can help with the parts and where you got the parts from please,  thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Davadaam

Hi there,

So long ago, long story short: -

Sony don't provide the parts necessary for a repair - the parts being a
set of three LED bars that illuminate the screen.

These LED bars appear unique to this TV and they are prone to burnout,
failing after an unreasonable 2 years (or thereabouts)

The control board (power) for the LEDS is very sensitive, if one LED
fails, the board will give the fault that you and I suffered - the TV
shuts down to protect an "over-voltage" to the remaining LEDs (there
were approx two hundred divided into three banks, if memory serves)

My options at the time were as follows: -

1. Obtain replacement (individual!) LEDs (and/or full banks) and solder
them to the LED "pads" - very difficult as the circuit boards are
aluminium (not typical fibre glass) so heat control for soldering is
(very) difficult. The individual LEDs are nowhere to be found on the
internet - tried everywhere, seems they were exclusive to Sony (Apple
tactic!)

2. Replace TV in entirety - yes, this was Sony's suggestion with
approximately 20% off of full price - I didn't fancy replacing/buying
the same TV with a fault history like mine!

3. Obtain known good second hand LED boards for same make/model. I was
fortunate to find an eBayer with such a TV - broken screen but good LEDs
(or so I thought - see next)

Problem is, second hand LED panels are only as good as their used
condition and age - my replacement LEDs lasted a couple of months before
fault returned so, I bit the bullet and bought another, different make TV.

Coincidently, the LEDs were greatly sought after by TV repair people and
I sold some of my old LEDs easily through another forum.

In your case, I would buy another TV, this Sony model was good but had a
reduced life.

Testimony to my last comment, it appears no other TV used the same LED -
'nuff said!

Sorry this isn't good news - but despite my determination to extend the
TV's life, I failed.
profile.country.GB.title
mag24750
Explorer

Thank you very much  

one of the best tv i ever had, 

i have a new Master series i paid £3999.99 for  but nothing close to Sony KD-55X9005C

i mean nothing  , mine last for 5 years  not a single problem .

But thanks

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, I recommend trying the force reset first: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00159906

Regarding the parts, Sony doesn't sell parts at all. You can check if you are within the warranty they will replace it.