Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD55AG9 - Youtube App stops playing videos and TV needs a reset.

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Sony KD55AG9 - Youtube App stops playing videos and TV needs a reset.

We bought this TV at the beginning of the year and love it. However we seem to be experiencing an ongoing issue. At least once a day when we go to play a youtube video from the youtube app on the TV - any video, the video will play about a second and then stop. I can go back to the youtube menu and navigate the app but all the videos perform the same. The only way for me to resolve this is to do a reset of the TV by holding the standby button, selecting reset and then starting the youtube app and all is working again. 

I have tried everything I can think of. When exiting youtube I press the back button all the way back to the TV home menu, as there is no exit button on the TV youtube app. I have tried going into settings - apps - force stop - clear data - clear cache for the youtube app and it has had no effect. I have also done this with all the other apps before doing this and this has had no effect. 

Yesterday with gritted teeth I restored the TV to factory defaults and this morning the TV done the same thing with the youtube app. It doesn't do this with any other app.

The firmware installed on my TV is v6.3598 and all apps are set to auto update with an LAN cable plugged into the back with no internet connectivity issues. So I am stuck as to what is causing the issue as a reset is the only solution at the moment that temporarily fixes it. 

Any help appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Uninstall only the YouTube App updates...

Maybe the problem is on the latest release...

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Thanks for the response.

This has been ongoing now for a few months. I would need to go back and see how many releases there has been over that period to check this out. I'll have a look.

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

I am having difficulty finding the version releases for the youtube tv app to see if it coincides as to when I started getting problems. I'll keep looking for answers.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

When you go on Sub MENU for uninstalling the App's update, you can't see any "info"?

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Yes the version I am using currently is 2.10.13 for youtube. I had a thought and wondered if there was a task manager on the TV much in the same way as smart phones where I could close running apps quickly. This would only serve as a temporary measure but can't seem to find that either. Only an option of force stop an app which doesn't work anyway. Only a reset of the TV.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

If you follow theese steps (for Android 8), you can't find a way for uninstall only the App's updates? 🤔:

https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-oled-tvs-android-/articles/0014...

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Yes I could uninstall it. But I was wanting to close the app like you would on a smart phone with numerous apps open as there isn’t an exit button in YouTube. I wanted to see if that worked but I don’t see a task manager in Andriod 9 either.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

No more Task Manager in Android TV from 8...

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

I have contacted Sony to see if they can shed any light on a solution. I am quite surprised no one else on here has experienced a similar issue.

If I get it resolved through Sony I will post the solution.