Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD55X8005CBU only 50hz ?

timewyrm
Explorer

Sony KD55X8005CBU only 50hz ?

Hi, I've been told that the Sony 55 X8005C is a 50hz tv only.

If this is correct what does it mean will happen when playing games that are meant to be played at 60hz from the PS4 ?

Will there be screen tearing ?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Practically all TV's released in the last 10 years do 60hz.

50hz is what PAL TV broadcasts are played in, this is why it's probably listed as 50hz,its a stupid term to advertise on any TV, unless a shop is selling both PAL and NTSC sets.

All consoles will output 60hz to your TV no problem, I can pretty much guarantee it. 

I have the KDx558509c which isn't advertised as such but actually has a 120hz panel for active 3d.

If you game on pc, using Nvidia as an example, you can open Nvidia control panel, create a custom resolution of 1080p@120hz and game at 120hz.

I was playing Project Cars on Ultra settings 1080p@120hz at 120 frames per second the other day. It looked great. 

timewyrm
Explorer

I had believed that the US model x10c was known as the x8005c in the UK, so you can imagine my suprise when I was told that it was only 50hz and worse lag ~50ms.

The tv itself doesn't list it as 50hz (only mentions Motionflow XR 200Hz).

I think the concern stems around games that run at 60fps; I have read that this can cause a problem with tv's that can only refresh at 50hz, the argument being that you lose 10fps. I really don't know much about any of this, so naturally panicked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Screen Refresh Rate (Hz) and Frames per Second (fps) are different but do go hand in hand with each other.  Have a read of:  http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_7.html

Now, i cannot find official documentation, but I believe the refresh rate on the X8005C is 50hz, and using MotionFlow XR200 - You must bear in mind that this is a budget 4K TV range - so there are differences between different cost point / models.

The TV supports the following:

_20151122_204200.JPG

Which should be fine for the PS4.  I would very much doubt it that Sony would make a TV that the PS4 is incompatible.  

If you really arnt sure, goto your local Sony Store and see if they will demo a PS4 on this TV?

Cheers

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Put your hdmi that you have connected your ps4 to "game"  preset to cut down on input lag. Don't worry what the marketing for the TV says and don't worry about motion rate. Like I said I'm 99.99999% sure that your consoles will output to the TV at 60hz.... Even cheapo supermarket brand TV's will output 60hz via a console. 

timewyrm
Explorer

From the link posted above (by Qunnicus) it says:

"If your FPS is higher than your refresh rate at any time, your monitor will not actually be able to display all of these frames, and some will come out with a graphical glitch known as Tearing. To prevent this, you can enable an option called Vertical Synchronization (VSync). However here's the tricky part: if VSync is enabled, then your refresh rate and FPS will have a direct relationship with each other - they will become synchronized together. This is all covered in more detail in the Vertical Synchronization section of this guide."

This is what I'm worried about.

xx4L0Mxx, I will try what you said when the tv arrives on Tuesday.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Most PS4 and Xbox one games are v synced to either 30fps or 60fps with double buffering. If a game screen tears on a console, it will be a fault with the game not the TV, there is pretty much nothing you can do about it, regardless of which TV you own. 

As PS4 and Xbox One aren't particularly powerful, they would struggle to output more than 60fps constantly in most games  anyway. 

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

@xx4L0Mxx wrote:

Most PS4 and Xbox one games are v synced to either 30fps or 60fps with double buffering. If a game screen tears on a console, it will be a fault with the game not the TV, there is pretty much nothing you can do about it, regardless of which TV you own. 

As PS4 and Xbox One aren't particularly powerful, they would struggle to output more than 60fps constantly in most games  anyway. 

The above provided table proves my point. 4k at 60hz  on HDMI 2/3. 1080p@60hzs too.