Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL-43W807C

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
juliehobbs

Sony KDL-43W807C

Just purchased the Sony KDL-43W807C Smart 3D Full HD TV  to replace my old Sony.

I do not really need to use the internet and I have a you view box, there have been updates popping up which are a bit of nuisance as you cannot use the tv whilst they are updating.  Could anyone tell me how I can disconnect my hub from this tv?  if in the future I decide to use it can it be installed later?

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

To turn OFF automatic updates:

1. Press the [HELP] button on the remote control (or you can press [HOME] and scroll down to 'Help'
  2. Scroll down to 'System software update' and press [OK]
  3. Scroll down to 'Automatic software download' and press [OK]
  4. Select 'Off' and press [OK]
  5. Done - return to TV.

Cheers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

My advice is to do the updates- as this improves the running and function of the TV.  

If you want to disconnect the TV completely from you network - im assuming that you have connected it via wifi, just turn WiFi off on the TV.  Goto Settings > Network > Advanced Settings > Built-in Wifi   and set this to OFF.  Do the reverse to re-enable it again should you wish.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
juliehobbs

Hi thank you for your help with this, will try it.
Could I also ask when it turn on the TV it seems to go to android, is this because I am connected to the internet via wifi?  If I turn off the wifi will the updates still happen and will I be informed on screen?
Finally one other question, I have always had sony TV's for as long as I can remember.  I noticed with this particular tv when the tv is off the screen looks kind of cloudy from a distance but not when you get up close, is this normal, could it be a different screen maybe to the one I had previously which was not a smart 3d tv?
Thanks for your help.
kind regards Julie
profile.country.GB.title
juliehobbs

Thank you that worked, could I ask  if you could help with the further question I asked in reply to this one?

many thanks

profile.country.GB.title
juliehobbs

Do I need to connected to wifi for the updates to take place?  could you please answer the other question listed? many thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @juliehobbs

My appologies for not replying and answering your other questions sooner - I had a few days away from these forums for personal reasons.  Anyway, your questions:

Question 1

Could I also ask when it turn on the TV it seems to go to android, is this because I am connected to the internet via wifi? 

The TV is Android based.  If you turn the TV completely off from the wall, then it will need to be 'booted up' again like a computer.  But turning it off (standby) via the remote control, it should go to where it was when you switch it off

Question 2

If I turn off the wifi will the updates still happen and will I be informed on screen?

Unfortunately no.  However, if you have a smartphone or tablet, you could install Sony's Support app and this will notify you of any updates or issues.  See: HERE

Question 3

I noticed with this particular tv when the tv is off the screen looks kind of cloudy from a distance but not when you get up close, is this normal, could it be a different screen maybe to the one I had previously which was not a smart 3d tv?

This one has me stumpped to be honest.  So when the TV is off, the screen looks cloudy?  Does it need a clean?  Reflections from something?  As long as its not cloudy when its on, which is the main thibg.

Question 4

Do I need to connected to wifi for the updates to take place? 

Yes and no :wink:  You can update it via wifi.  But Sony also release the firmware via a download on thier support pages for you to update manually via USB.  To be honest, i prefer the manual USB update - it seems to be less problematic overall.

Hopefully this answers your questions.  If you have any more, please dont hesitate to ask.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@juliehobbs wrote:

Just purchased the Sony KDL-43W807C Smart 3D Full HD TV  to replace my old Sony.

I do not really need to use the internet and I have a you view box, there have been updates popping up which are a bit of nuisance as you cannot use the tv whilst they are updating.  Could anyone tell me how I can disconnect my hub from this tv?  if in the future I decide to use it can it be installed later?

many thanks

I suggest you do not turn off your wifi, or most of the smartness of this TV will not function - no catchup, no Netflix, and a host of other features will stop working as well.

Instead, go into Settings/Updates and turn off Automatic Updates. This way, the updates can still download, but you decide when they happen.

As Quinnicus says, it is not a good idea to turn off updates completely, as they do improve the operation of your set, but I know how annoying it is to get a thirty minute update foisted on you when you want to watch Corrie.

So when you get notified of an update, fire it up only when you are ready to switch your set off and not watch any more, and it will not interrupt your viewing.

When my Samsung gets an update, it pops up and tells me, but asks if I want it now, at switch-off, or overnight.

Sony would do well to emulate this approach.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

@royabrown

Great idea.  Submitted improvement/feedback request to Sony:

_20160807_203714.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
juliehobbs

Hi thank you for that information.  When I go into settings where do I find the update section? 

Many thanks
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@juliehobbs wrote:
Hi thank you for that information.  When I go into settings where do I find the update section? 

Many thanks

Over on the far right option, I think. Quinnicus, or some other kind soul might be able to check this out, but I am not back in front of my set to check this until Thursday; tell you then if no one else has replied in the meantime.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking