Join now - be part of our community!

Sony XD93 TV wit HD-NT5 Sounbar connection problems HDMI

mark210
Explorer

Sony XD93 TV wit HD-NT5 Sounbar connection problems HDMI

Purchased this TV last saturday - would not work with my existing samsung sounbar

replaced sounbar with a sony sounbar - still did not work via HDMI ARC

returned TV and sounbar on wednesday after hours of trobleshooting with Sony and Currys tech help - neither could solve the problem of no HDMI connection between TV and sounbar.

I intended to buy different brands but the sony rep in currys persuaded me to give it one more go with sony products....

So i took away another XD93 and an upgraded sounbar the NT5

both latest sony 2016 products .

Alas the problem is exactly the same - no HDMI connection on sounbar

also the sounbar seems to have low volume when connected with optical cable (the only way i can get it to work at the moment) .... I have a sony rep coming to our house this evening to try and resolve this - but after this its probably the last chance i will give the sony equipment - Im off to LG Oled.....

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Could it be the case that you have a Sky box connected in your setup? If yes i would try disconnecting it and see everything else is working....

Anonymous
Not applicable
mark210
Explorer

Nothing else connected but the internet.

tried several cables (4 in total) - all of them 1.4 or above

one HDMI cable specifically marked ARC compatible high speed with ethernet.

Thanks Mark

mark210
Explorer

Yes tried all that - there is no real information in that guide - it basically says "turn off and on equipment or replace cable"

there you go could have done Sonys troubleshooting guide in a few words instead of pages of pretty useless blurb - still it doesnt help....

Anonymous
Not applicable

As you have a Sony rep coming to your place to resolve the issue, best wait until then.  Please post back how it was resolved as im curious now on what the issue is :wink:

mark210
Explorer

I sure will

thanks Mark

mark210
Explorer

Ok had a visit from Abby

not sue if she is from Currys or Sony

She brought along the HDMI cable from the store and after 20 minutes looking through the menus

-NO SOUND.....

She was absoluteley puzzled since she had just left the store with the exact setup and all was working..

just about to give up and accept it has to be a software fault (3 soundbars - two tvs and 6 cables tested now)

when Abby thought   .... just one last thing - the store setup is running in Demo mode....

lets try that just for a chance.   Well guess what - it works in demo mode - hence why the store couldnt duplicate the problem....

So summary - some success - well done Abby - Im impreseed with her detective work - but it still undoubtedly proves there is a software problem - certain functions in the menus arent working but for now the picture is good and i have sound - so ill accept it for a while longer until they (sony) can confirm a complete fix. Otherwise ill have to consider what to do as i get to the end of the 14 day no quibble return period.

thanks agian to Abby

mark210
Explorer

Update--

unfortunateley this fix mentioned above , doesnt actually work. After a short while the sound stops again also - the sounbar locks up and wont allow shutdown from the remote so has to be  disconnected from the mains. After restarting from a cold start you can run through the whole routine again toggle in and out of demo mode and the soundbar will work again but only for a short while.

Obviousely Im not very happy having spent around £2.5k with Sony and still without proper functionality one week later!

I have spent a rediculous amount of hours on this problem, probably 2 days as well as the inconvenience of having to pack and unpack lots of equipment and return to stores and being without a properly functioning TV  and have been offered no compensation from Sony.

Im guessing I need to send the whole set back again for a second time... I wont be giving sony a third chance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is the first time, ive heard about a Sony Soundbar not working on a Sony TV.  I have escalated this thread to Sony Support in the hopes they can shed some light on what is going on.  They should be in contact with you in the next day or two.

Cheers