Join now - be part of our community!

Sony XE9005 - Why is the ARC HDMI input one of the only two inputs that can support 4K HDR?

profile.country.GB.title
jowilso7943

Sony XE9005 - Why is the ARC HDMI input one of the only two inputs that can support 4K HDR?

I recently bought a Sony KD-49XE9005 set, with a CT-290 soundbar. I want to use these with an Xbox One X and a 4K Apple TV. However, only two of the four HDMI inputs (2 & 3) are enhanced, ie can accepted 4K HDR at 60fps - and one of these (3) is the same as the ARC HDMI input that needs to be connected to the soundbar. 

So despite having 4 HDMI inputs, I can only have one enhanced one if I want to use ARC with the soundbar. This is a stupid decision by Sony and significantly reduces the value of this model. Why wasn’t the ARC HDMI input one of the non-enhanced ones? 

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Because that's the correct choice. You don't want HDMI ARC in the TV to be a non HDMI 2.0 port. The idea is that one connects the 4K  HDR enabled device to a soundbar/AVR (supporting HDMI 4K HDR passthrough) and then the output from it to the HDMI ARC port of the television. The audio is also better, because if with an UHD BR Player one can get Dolby Atmos and the like on AVR/soundbars that support it (which is impossibile with HDMI 2.0 via ARC).

The bad (and cheap) choice instead has been to reduce the number of HDMI 2.0 ports from 4 to 2. In the XD85 (if I remember correctly) all HDMI ports support the 4K  HDR signals indeed. Then in later models that has been restricted to HDMI 2 & 3.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@Jecht_Sin

Hi,

You are exactly right and I was on the same path, however, when you check out the CT-290 it only has a HDMI OUT TV (ARC) and a TV IN Optical. OP can only connect further devices to the TV rather than to the sound system which is now the norm'. I see the complaint but unfortunately tech' moves on and we have to upgrade in order to keep up.

My TV has only one HDMI 2.0 and it is not the ARC one. Fortunately I have a Home Theatre System which is connected to the TV via the ARC port, this system will not pass 4K but for instance the UBP-X800 can connect straight to the HDMI 2.0 on the TV and has a seperate HDMI version 1.4 for audio which can then connect to the Home Theatre System. Sony were actually clever enough to forsee this scenario.

As you say, the new TV models ports should all be 2.0 regardless.

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yeah, that's why before buying my audio system I did triple check the specifications for the HDMI connectivity. 4 HDMI 2.0 ports plus the one left in the TV will be even too much for years, at least for my needs. Also lets' not forget that the other two HDMI 1.4 ports do support UHD at 30Hz (only in SDR). So if one needs to connect a computer to work (not for gaming) they have enough capacity.

Still if one gets short on HDMI 2.0 ports (because they have a soundbar with only one HDMI In) there is always the option to buy a HDMI Switch. The one linked is just an example, I know nothing about it. It isn't cheap, though. And it would require yet another remote (although one would hope that the device would recognize the active ports making the switch automatic. Actually, it says auto switch, so it should be fine).

profile.country.GB.title
jowilso7943

Thanks for the replies. You’re probably right - I suppose the real complaint is the CT-290’s lack of an HDMI in socket. I’ve connected it optically and reserved the HDMI slots for the Apple TV and Xbox. Inconvenient in that I have to switch on and manually select the soundbar every time I want to use it, but this way I’ll use the TV speakers for casual viewing and the soundbar for games and movies.

profile.country.GB.title
Tjmblade
New

I’ve found this problem aswell. Thought about buying the HDMI switcher but just putting up with the optical cable which isn’t as good as HDMI sound through arc. Don’t know why all four ports couldn’t support 4K uhd hdr ?  So you either have to buy new surround sound equipment or some bodge job ?  

profile.country.GB.title
Tjmblade
New

Have you stuck with the optical or found a better solution? 

profile.country.GB.title
jowilso7943

Stuck with the optical. Only turn on the soundbar for serious viewing or gaming and use TV speakers for light viewing, so it saves me a little electricity at least.