Join now - be part of our community!

Sony XH90/X900h VRR and ALLM

profile.country.GB.title
voodoo_84

Sony XH90/X900h VRR and ALLM

Hi, there are a lot of rumours, including responses from costumer service advisors  and amended webpages that suggest VRR and ALLM support via a firmware update will no longer be coming, can anyone confirm this?

This is my first Sony TV and I can genuinely say communication around well known issues with the TV has been dreadful. 

Thanks

76 REPLIES 76
profile.country.GB.title
Boris_GB

Just an update, rumours are we will not see the VRR/ALLM update until winter 2021.

My TV will be 18 months without its advertised features if this is true.

It is being suggested that the Mediatek S.O.C on the XH90 can not handle full HDMI 2.1 funcunality. This is the reason Sony's 2021 TV line up have had a hardware upgrade across the board.

profile.country.GB.title
voodoo_84

That sucks if true. I’m not sure there is much we can do other than hang tight. I don’t think the PS5 has VRR yet so I’m guessing they are trying to align everything.

I’ve been keeping my eye on the AV forums and the ongoing 120fps @ 4k issues. a lot of guessing to reasons behind the blur in this mode and I’m not sure Sony will give any further statement around this. I get the impression they’ve done all they can/are going to do.

I think a lot of us are probably going to have to put this down to an (expensive) lesson learnt in terms of buying into promised features. This shouldn’t in any way let Sony off and I’ll probably look elsewhere when buying AV equipment in the future. 

I will say I’ve been loving movies and gaming at 4K 60 on this tv and Earc hasn’t been too bad for me, so I’m enjoying the tv. In hindsight I would have probably waited  for the 2021 series of TV’s. I will probably keep this for a couple of years and check out the sales in 2022 or 2023.  The (at the very least) mis selling of features has left a bad taste in my mouth. 

profile.country.GB.title
apuk2004

Just picked up a 55" XH92 and really impressed so far!

Especially as it was only £600 with a 5 year warranty. Grade A refurb but looks new!

Since my old TV was a 2010 Sony 40" 1080p you can imagine the difference it makes! 

I held off buying this model around February/March with all the will it won't it over VRR/ALLM but figured the XJ90 would cost me so much more until 2022.

Since I have a PS5 I wanted to experience 4K HDR etc and blown away by the Android features. No need for a Firestick or Chromecast anymore woohoo! 😂👍🏻

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@apuk2004 

I see on the YouView Community that the euphoria was short-lived….. 😢

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
apuk2004

I presume by that you mean my post about the Youview app MYTV section having an error YVM3503?

So have other X90/X92 users reported it?

Personally I can live with it but I will report any issues I find and others should do the same.

I'm still chuffed with the TV though. For £600 you'd struggle to find a better one  than this right now!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@apuk2004 

Other Sony Android TV users have reported it.

It is not confined to any one model, sub range of models, range of models, or model year 😢

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Oops….