Join now - be part of our community!

Sound Bar Not Working With Sony KD55XD9305 Apps

SOLVED
preeder1963

Sound Bar Not Working With Sony KD55XD9305 Apps

Hi

I have a Sony KD55XD9305BU  Smart Android TV which is linked to a Cambridge TVB2 sound bar - both a few days old.  Linked via the HDMI 4 port which is ARC.

My Virgin Media box, a TV Media Box, and a Bluray player are also connected to the TV via HDMI.

The sound bar works faultlessly with the three boxes listed above.

However, when I use the TV's on board Apps, such as Amazon and BBC I player, the sound fails to make it to the sound bar and I either get silence or a loud clicking.  The picture will also stall when trying to watch apps with the sound bar selected and switched on.  If I switch to TV speakers then the apps work fine.

I can't really take the sound bar back as I would have to admit it works fine.  Is my TV maybe malfunctioning or is there some setting buried deep in the menus that I haven't found yet?  Spent most of Xmas on this so any help much appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@preeder1963 wrote:

Hi Quinnicus - I think Roobb was pointing out that with the TV's digital sound output set to PCM I am going to be losing some of the sound properties DTS etc as I understand that PCM is a compressed format.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

I think a read of this Cambridge Audio 'How To' may be illuminating.

It suggests a couple of reasons why you might be having issues with Netflix.

The first, that the TV might not output sound on Netflix at all, is not the case with these Sonys, I believe.

But the second, that the soundbar can only handle stereo and not any Dolby 5.1, DTS or Dolby Digital, which Netflix can output, is almost certainly the issue.

So PCM is your best bet here with this Cambridge 'bar, and you are not missing out on anything the soundbar can do.

You are missing on any 5.1 or 7.1 sound that Netflix and other apps on the TV can supply, of course; but to get that, you would need a full 5.1/7.1 surround system, or at least a soundbar capable of handling these, like the Yamaha YSP2500 or 2700. 

But these solutions are a long way north of £300; enjoy your soundbar for what it is, as a vast improvement on the TV's stereo speakers, with the TV outputting PCM to it.

i think this 'How To' is excellent by the way, setting out all your options very clearly indeed. You bemoaned that the issue you are having doesn't seem to be in the TVB2 help; is there no paper copy of this How To in the box with the 'bar, or at least referred to somewhere? It certainly deserves to be.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It could be some incompatibility on one of the devices you connect to the system. Try disconnecting both Virgin and TV media box and see if the TV/soundbar connection is working...

preeder1963

Thanks for the reply Roob.  It turned out to be in the Sound Menu - Digital Output Mode.  Deselected Auto and forced to PCM.  Should have been in the instructions really.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

it's not a real solution since you are cutting down any Dolby or dts encoding (unless your soundbar is not able to manage that). but if you are happy with it it's ok
preeder1963

I don't really understand that Roobb so now I think I am missing out on something that I would be unhappy about if I understood what it was.

I tried your suggestion of disconnecting all other devices so that I had only the TV connected to the internet via LAN.  The problem still occurred.  I found that by switching off the sound bar power and disconnecting the HDMI lead I could then get the apps working using TV speakers.  If I then connected the soundbar via HDMI to the TV and then turned the sound bar power back on then the sound bar worked with the App (Amazon Iplayer etc).

If I leave the sound bar on and plugged in and switch between episodes within the app, or to another app then the problem comes back.

It also comes back if I leave the sound bar plugged in but powered off.  I expect it's only on stand-by anyway and the sound bar is sending something back up the HDMI cable to the TV.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

there should be two auto mode:did you tried both before switching to pcm? if yes probably your solution is the best possible 
preeder1963

Yes there are two auto modes and I have only tried one. Basically, last night I had tried disconnecting all other devices and started going into my John Cleese self destruct mood when I finally got through to Richer Sounds and tried their suggested PCM option. 

When I get back tonight I will try the other auto and see what it does.  Thanks for your help so far.  It is appreciated.

preeder1963

Ok I have now tried both Auto modes and neither work properly. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im coming in the middle of this thread, but im trying to understand the problem.  Problem: Your having issues with 'no audio' when using apps such as Netflix, YouTube etc but audio works fine when outputting via HDMI-ARC from devices connected to the TV.

You changed one of the settings to PCM and it therefore works.

So I am now unsure what the issue is?

Cheers

preeder1963

Hi Quinnicus - I think Roobb was pointing out that with the TV's digital sound output set to PCM I am going to be losing some of the sound properties DTS etc as I understand that PCM is a compressed format.

Cheers Paul