Join now - be part of our community!

Sound Bar Not Working With Sony KD55XD9305 Apps

SOLVED
preeder1963

Sound Bar Not Working With Sony KD55XD9305 Apps

Hi

I have a Sony KD55XD9305BU  Smart Android TV which is linked to a Cambridge TVB2 sound bar - both a few days old.  Linked via the HDMI 4 port which is ARC.

My Virgin Media box, a TV Media Box, and a Bluray player are also connected to the TV via HDMI.

The sound bar works faultlessly with the three boxes listed above.

However, when I use the TV's on board Apps, such as Amazon and BBC I player, the sound fails to make it to the sound bar and I either get silence or a loud clicking.  The picture will also stall when trying to watch apps with the sound bar selected and switched on.  If I switch to TV speakers then the apps work fine.

I can't really take the sound bar back as I would have to admit it works fine.  Is my TV maybe malfunctioning or is there some setting buried deep in the menus that I haven't found yet?  Spent most of Xmas on this so any help much appreciated.

31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

You really are having bad luck here.

Umm... Im going to take it from the top here, so

1. Im assuming you also powered down the soundbar from the wall too? 
  2. Does that also include rebooting the Tivo?
  3. Are the speakers still set to "Audio System"?
  4. If so, try again and remove all devices (just leaving the soundbar connected) and see if you can get audio via normal broadcast TV (i.e. Freeview) or try iPlayer.

preeder1963

Yep tried powering down both the sound bar and the TV.  Still set to Audio System.  Haven't got a Tivo, just standard Virgin media HD V+ box amd I didn't reboot it

Had HDMI lead unplugged as well.

This feels like a new problem to me.

Online guides recommend switching HDMI control to on. I cannot find ths in my settings.  Which suggests I didn't find it before when it was working.

preeder1963

What I do notice with this thing is that the weight of the HDMI cable pulls the HDMI connector down at an angle where it connects into the socket in the back of the TV.  But again, it was like this when it was working.  Not a confidence booster though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I assuming that its working again as the HDMI lead fell out?

The design of the HDMI port and cable has been a bugbear of mine and many others for a long time.  Its poorly designed that way of which it doesnt 'click' securely in place like other cables do. 

In regards to HDMI control - what you are referring to is a generic term called HDMI-CEC.  Companies call this differently - for example Sony called it "Bravia Sync", Samsung call it "Anynet+", LG call it "SimpLink" 

By default, Bravia Sync is enabled on the TV.  However have a look at the settings anyhow.  And the soundbar might have it as HDMI-CEC or "Control for HDMI" or some other terminology.

preeder1963

No it's not working Quinnicus.  The HDMI lead did not fall out, it just sits at an angle due to the weight of the cable.

I am not getting Bravia Sync with this sound bar.  The TV does not see the sound bar and the tv volume no longer controls the sound bar

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

You are using the correct HDMI Out on the soundbar? HDMI 3 Is right next door to it - make sure you didn't connect to that in error.

I can't imagine how heavy your HDMI cable can possibly be - and you can use the strain relief/cable tidying clips on the back of the TV to help here.

I suspect it's not the actual weight of the cable so much as it is a bit too short, and it is straining that way.

An HDMI cable and socket won't work at an angle, not properly anyway. You probably have some pins connecting, and others not; and if you have some that are intermittent, then there goes your connection, as HDMI cables need to be mated with their sockets cold, and not interrupted once powered on.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
preeder1963

Yep Royabrown.

Went through everything step by step just in case I had had a vague moment.  Further, they were all in the same position when it was working fine.

All I did was power the TV down for one minute as per Sony support's instruction to help with registering 3D glasses.  With no other change the sound bar stopped working.

The HDMI cable is quite thick and heavy compared with some, but I think it's more a question of the looseness of the HDMI socket that is allowing it to tilt. It does not grip the HDMI connector the way the other sockets do.  The HDMI sockets on this TV are mounted sideways half way up the back of the TV so the cable tidy clips don't help. The cable is over long if anything. Also I have stood holding the HDMI connector firmly in at a 90 deg angle while my partner tries the volume etc and it didn't make a difference.  Might try going through setup again with a bit of gaffer tape supporting the cable to see if it is the problem.

Having spent around 20 hours plus battling with this TV / soundbar combo over the christmas break , if I can't get it working tonight then it's going back.  It's a shame, as when working properly, the sound bar sounds great and the TV pic is stunning.  But it usually has to be with an optical lead plugged in, (which is to the left side of the TV), and I am now at the point where I am sick of the sight of it.

preeder1963

Ok, back in play.  Turned absolutely everything off.  Unplugged anything that could be unplugged.  Switched all back on again with a rather elegant engineering solution to the back of the TV consisting of masking tape from my extensive Blue Peter training.  All now working.

I am attaching one pic of the HDMI cable arrangement as was, and one with the new masking tape accessory.

In response to Roobb.  I think you can see the HDMI at top of connections, left towards centre of TV.  The cable has no pull on it and even though I have just plugged it in there is a slight angle to it.  In the second photo I have taped the cables up and they enter per[endicular to the sockets.  No idea if this was causing the problem but especially aware of the intermittent discon and hot vs cold connection issue that Roobb raised.

Sorry about negativity earlier on but I find this to be an even worse mental torture than watching Farage's triumphant grin. So, all sorted and probably be back on tomorrow.  Chers all.

20170112_171901_1484242249104.jpg

20170112_172224_1484242248557.jpg

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@preeder1963 it was not me but @royabrown who suggested to check the connection but still happy you found out the way :wink:

preeder1963

Ooops.  Royabrown.  Restecp!