Join now - be part of our community!

Sound from some functions but not all

profile.country.GB.title
TheDocker
Explorer

Sound from some functions but not all

Sony Bravia XH85 series

I can hear digital TV broadcasts, all channels no issue, via external speaker or TV. Problem is I cannot hear Smart TV apps like Netflix etc. Nor can I hear the TV functions, switching from app to app, etc - the beep. 

had to do a hard reset. Why? What was the problem? 

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Did the reset fix the issue?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
TheDocker
Explorer

The reset stops the problem occurring. It doesn’t ‘fix’ it. It happens again. It happens less with an optical cable instead of the hdmi cable. But then we’re back to using two remotes or the TV speakers. The problem needs to be identified and a solution published or included in a software update. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@TheDocker 

Have you seen any other reports of this problem? I’m sure you must have looked. As unless it is widespread, it is unlikely that Sony would think the answer would be a software fix.

But check your Audio Out settings.

I can get this problem if I am over-ambitious and try to push DD+ through my (Samsung) TV, when it will only support DD.

This does not affect the OTA channels, which do not use this encoding, but does affect anything trying to send 5.1, such as Netflix or Amazon Video.

And it affects Optical slightly differently than HDMI; which makes me think your issue may be in the same sort of area, and why there aren’t scads of reports of this.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
TheDocker
Explorer

Hi, this looks like a hopeful explanation. I had checked the Audio Out settings, but without having a clue as to what is the issue, I had no idea what to look at or change. I’ll try this later. 

This problem affects the ‘Ping’ noise too, when I move the remote cursor up and down the guide or between apps, just so you know. 

I’ll report back if I find a solution. Might take a few days as the ‘problem’ comes and goes. 

profile.country.GB.title
apjoseph

Hi,

Mine is a KD65XG9505 and I am having the same issues. It's only the built in apps that is causing this issue. If I run the apps via another device, for example, from the XBOX I have no issues. I contacted Sony and they said they are aware of this and hope to have it fixed with the next firmware, but not sure when this will be. This is so frustrating.

I hope this give some solace.

Arun

profile.country.GB.title
TheDocker
Explorer

Hi
From another guy, I Changed the settings from Dolby Digital + to just Dolby Digital, I’ve yet to encounter the problem again.

TONY P RADIO SHOW
Every weekend on NCB Radio
Listen At Your Leisure on
ow.ly/oiU530lfzy5