Join now - be part of our community!

TV and Sound bar Level Displays

profile.country.GB.title
MGB_Bloke
Explorer

TV and Sound bar Level Displays

In Nov 2020 I purchased a Sony Bravia KD43H8196 TV and HT-G700 Sound Bar as a package. Since then, I have had a problem, not a showstopper but nevertheless I find it annoying and have tried to get a solution from Sony Support since purchasing.
Basically, when using the small sound bar controller, I get a display of the volume level on the sound bar and no indication on the TV screen which is what I would expect.
If I use any other controller (the supplied TV controller, a Virgin Tivo controller, a DVD player controller) I get a volume display level on the sound bar but also a different sound level display on the TV. This is independent of the service I use whether HDMI or Internet (e.g. You Tube).
Sony have been unable to solve this so far and have suggested that it is a software problem and that’s how it should work.
My questions are …
Has anyone else had/got this problem? Have you fixed it? If so how?

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@MGB_Bloke  ha scritto:

Thanks your reply to my question.  Did you contact Sony Support about your issue? I have been in touch for them for some months now about this.

@MGB_Bloke if you are referring to me, as I said I don't have any issue. The display "incongruence" is not a fault, and I can lower down the volume in any way without limits

profile.country.GB.title
MGB_Bloke
Explorer

Thank you for your reply, yes my reply was to you.

profile.country.GB.title
MGB_Bloke
Explorer

OK will do

profile.country.GB.title
MGB_Bloke
Explorer

Thanks - will do.

profile.country.GB.title
MGB_Bloke
Explorer

Rooob - so do you think this is why the TV display shows level 1 for volume whilst the sound-bar shows 35?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No. That's the reason why the tv may show 30 and soundbar 15

profile.country.GB.title
MGB_Bloke
Explorer

Thanks,  but I haven't go that sort of correlation between volume level indications.

profile.country.GB.title
MGB_Bloke
Explorer

Just to make my situation even clearer - here's a summary of where I've been left.  Since Sony support have been unable to come up with a solution, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

Using the Sony TV remote control (or VIRGIN TIVO remote control)

1. I press MUTE – no sound, crossed-through speaker symbol on TV plus volume level, MUTE flashing on soundbar.
2. I press MUTE again to cancel – still no sound, speaker symbol on TV plus volume level (not crossed out), MUTE flashing on soundbar.
3. To get sound back I have to increase the volume on the remote control or push MUTE on the TV remote control a second time, there is then a crossed-through speaker symbol on the TV with TV dis[played on the soundbar, then the sound is back on.
4. Also, If I reduce the volume to zero on the TV screen, there is still sound through the speakers (TV shown on the soundbar) and I am unable to decrease the volume and further using the remote control.
5. The volume indicated on the TV bears no relationship to that shown on the soundbar (e.g. I have level 1 on TV and level 35 on soundbar).

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I do not want to believe that there is an incompatibility between two Bravia sync product (btw they should be guaranteed as interoperable). Have you already tried the basic I assume (resetting to factory setting both TV and soundbar, disconnect and reconnect all the system, disabling/reenabling bravia sync, tried another HDMI cable) ?

profile.country.GB.title
MGB_Bloke
Explorer

Thanks for your response, yes I've tried all of those (probably twice now) under the guidance of Sony support.  However, I may try this reset to factory again since I have, with the help of Sony support upgraded the soundbar software).  Sony support, at their last call, informed me that this situation is normal - unless they are getting fed up with me!  I am trying them again now though and wait a reply.