Join now - be part of our community!

TV broken-hearted

profile.country.GB.title
bettwsbarn
Explorer

TV broken-hearted

My TV broke before the bank holiday and it is under guarantee with John Lewis. Repairers came and took the TV away. 10 days later I have had to chase them up to find the main board needs replacing. John Lewis have agreed the cost but Sony cannot say when this part will be available.

I have been  told that I have to wait until the 4th October ( 42 days) before John Lewis will do anything. Repairers say they have no ETA on the part.

is this good enough from John Lewis and also from Sony. You buy an expensive TV and expect backup.

is there anything I can do?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

John Lewis should have brought you a replacement TV to use until yours is repaired. Did they?

What was the start date for your guarantee on the set?

Has it been for repair before?

Your legal rights (which differ from the rights in your guarantee, which are always in addition to your legal rights) as to whether you even need to accept a (possibly further) repair, or can demand a refund or a replacement, vary based on the length of time you have had the TV set, so we need that date in order to advise you.

And as regards the 42 days, where does that come from, and what is it based on?

Is it the deadline for “can’t” in the following?

If we can't repair your TV, we'll replace it with a TV of equivalent specification. If no equivalent product is available, we'll either offer you the nearest equivalent specification or its selling price value , and we'll always do our best to make sure you're satisfied with the outcome.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
bettwsbarn
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

bought just over. 3 years ago with a built in 5yr guarantee. Never had a repair until now.

told by John Lewis the repairers didn’t have a tv to be a temporary replacement and didn’t offer me one themselves.

i was told by John Lewis that they will do nothing until 28 working days are up since the breakdown if still no replacement part. This is what makes the 42 days if you included weekends and a bank holiday Monday.

not sure re ‘cant’ bit. I tried to get them to tell me exactly what happens but all they said was they would look to replace!!

thansk fro your help

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

OK, so it’s had a good innings, and you are either going to get it back mended, or a brand new TV, and there is a definition of, and a clear time limit on, “can’t”.

So just the lack of something to tide you over until then is a bit mizzy.

Richer Sounds lent us a TV while one of ours was away being looked at, for an intermittent fault that I could show them a video of happening.

John Lewis didn’t lend us one when another set went back after four years with a cluster of bad pixels that had arisen, but we didn’t ask them to; and they gave us every penny back, quite quickly, for the broken set, when an equivalent replacement would have been cheaper.

So kudos to them for that.

You might try ringing them again about a ‘courtesy’ set if they have made you devoid of a TV, as you may be nearly a month without a set, still, and not in a position to buy one; but apart from that, I think you are in a good position, and your foresight in getting a TV with a five year warranty has really paid off.

Weird fact: if Oct 4 comes and you need a new set, and JL offer you a replacement, their guarantee may only run to the end of the current five years. But if you have the money back, you can buy a modern set with the same or better features, get a whole new five year guarantee, and probably still have some money over.

Worth considering this if it comes up.....

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
bettwsbarn
Explorer

Thanks for your help,much appreciated