Join now - be part of our community!

TV Issue.. 1 week in

StevensonKyle
Explorer

TV Issue.. 1 week in

Hi there looking for a bit of advice purchased a TV from SONY using a local retailer (currys) during the January sales 3rd January, and this is the first week the TV has been in use as we have been renovating, so the tv has been kept in retail packaging from date of purchase (except a quick glance on delivery to ensure screen wasn't cracked in any way).

Having set the TV up noticed several issues after a week of using it, a light streak on the bottom left hand corner of the screen and a pixel knock out in the middle of the screen. Also that the android software is very buggy in particular when accessing the freeview menu. Having had the TV longer than 28 days I couldn't return to vendor for an exchange and was best advised to contact sony with the issue.

5/5/17 - Spoke with Asian call centre, who advised me to send images across for inspection.

8/5/17 - Had no missed calls but an email from Sony stating they had tried to call me and that my case was closed.

12.05pm, called Sony who advised me their systems were down.

12.10pm, called back up as I forgot to ask something, systems back up.. only to be advised the technicians are viewing the images I sent over and will contact me within 24 hrs, as they had been sent to a "further" up team.

9/5/17 - Spoke with contact centre who didn't know anything about this, they hadn't been examined by any team but the person who handled the call decided it was up to him to resolve it, only by telling me he thinks the blemishes and pixel knock out are within parameters of which are deemed acceptable for Sony, with me disagreeing fully he agrees to put the case across further, yet another 24 hrs of me having to wait for them.

I'm getting absolutely no where with your foreign contact centres who seem like they're fobbing me off and telling me it's acceptable for 1 weeks usage for there to be defects within the TV screen. The case number is 15696484 and I would appreciate any advice you can give with this matter.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @StevensonKyle and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble getting your TV sorted.

Firstly what did Currys say?

(Alot of retailers try to palm people off with contacting the manufacturer.)

I am surprised you weren't offered a refund or exchange at least as it could be argued  the item was not fit for purpose, also doesn't their warranty last 12 months?

StevensonKyle
Explorer

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Using Curry's call tree it advises me to phone Sony direct and when I went in store they also advised the same, having phoned Sony it seems now like they're palming me off!

Is it normal for this to happen? Curry's tell me their exchange policy is 28 days and that the rest is dealt with Sony directly.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

No I don't believe that's right.

Curry's are responsible as the retailer under their 12 month guarantee/

(Which I assume you have)

Their own website states that:

"Faulty goods

It’s bad enough that your product develops a fault, so we try to make our returns or repair service as painless as possible.

We will offer either a repair, exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 30 days of purchase (or delivery or installation). If the fault with your product occurs within its guarantee period (normally 12 months from delivery) we will offer you a prompt repair service*. In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault."

Have a look Here for more info.

One thought - are Currys saying that the faults are acceptable too?

StevensonKyle
Explorer

Just went into Curry's store again who gave me the leaflet which you've quoted, I've been advised to call Curry's customer service team as Sony are refusing to send someone to look at TV and are saying the faults OK based on a picture which I feel is ridiculous.

Curry's don't want to see the fault I tried showing them.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Ahhh, ok.

I think you should certainly give customer services a call - its ridiculous they won't see the fault.

Looking at their terms you are surely at least entitled to a repair if not an exchange.

Come back to us and let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

StevensonKyle
Explorer

Sony have finally caved in and have decided that a dead pixel is unacceptable on a brand new tv, they said they will exchange for a brand new TV.

But.. when they emailed me it states the tv will be a recertified as new TV.. reconditioned in other words. I still find this unacceptable as its a brand new TV and they're giving me a refurb thats been in someone elses home.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @StevensonKyle

I understand your disappointment. Also why was it origibally refurbished?

I see this has been escalated for you

I will check whether the recent contact you have had with them was after the escalation or whether you are still due to be contacted

Are your contact details correct in your profile?