Join now - be part of our community!

TV Remote Issue

profile.country.US.title
Matt6677
New

TV Remote Issue

So my Sony remote works fine for everything except shutting off the TV. I need to get within a few inches to shut it off. I've also tried using voice command, it registers the voice command, but TV remains on. Again, every other function works from a distance. 

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
RogerBill

Odd symptoms like this can be caused by failing batteries in the remote control. Worth trying new batteries. NB remote controls often don't function well using rechargeable batteries as these generally have lower voltage outputs than disposable batteries. Another possibility is that something has been spilt on that button. One of the other buttons on my remote control is sticky which I suspect has been caused by this and I've yet to find a way of cleaning it.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Matt6677 

Press the On/Standby button on the remote and hold it down for just over 5 seconds until it soft reboots.

See if this improves things,

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
simonandfelicity

Not directly connected to the previous one (although it might be) - we have a Sony OLED XR42A90K / YouView.

I have noticed that when using YouView after a while the subtitle button and the info during programme text are not available, i.e. nothing relevant appears on the screen when button(s) pressed. Very frustrating as e.g. we use the subtitles quite often.

They will both reappear on rebooting (and of course if powered off) but then after a while disappear again. I also have managed to fix – temporarily – by deleting the YouView app cache and / or data, but again the issue seems to reappear after a while.

Very unlikely to be a battery / remote issue but seems to be related to the new version of YouView which installed around the end of January. There are other work arounds, but it really should not happen. Any thoughts?

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Matt, try the steps on this link and let me know if it improved the symptom: 

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-49xh8505/artic...

Also, what's the model number of your TV? 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey simonandfelicity, what's the current software version on your TV? Click Help on the remote control and get it from the top part of the screen.

profile.country.GB.title
simonandfelicity

Dear Hannah,

Software Version is PK6.748052EUA, I think it is up to date? The issue is with the black IR remote, and the top left buttons (Subtitle and Info). I never use the Bluetooth remote.

I have found, to repeat, that rebooting generally puts things right, but also I have been always returning to Live TV even after streaming before turning the set off. So far that seems to eliminate the problem, but maybe just coincidence!

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey simonandfelicity YouView are launching an update soon for the app, check the play store and make sure it's updated, let me know if that changed anything. 

profile.country.GB.title
simonandfelicity

Dear Hannah,

Noticed we do have a new version of TouView, dated 15/3/24 - not sure if it helps or not becaseu not sure when it updated becasue before I had uninstalled all updates to see if that made a difference! Will keep monitoring and will let you kinow if the issue has disappeared..Thanks for your advice.

S and F

profile.country.GB.title
simonandfelicity

Issue (after a time no action on pressing subtitle or program info buttons) is still there with the new version of YouView and with updated main software. I had thought that it was because of switching set from streaming but that seems inconsistent and sometimes makes no difference, instead it just seems after a two to three days issue occurs again. I have tried deleting the cache and storage of the YouView app - works sometimes but not always. A full reboot usually fixes the issue but sometimes doing this the YouView entry screen locks up and then no simple remote presses work. A second reboot seems to fix this but shouldn’t be necessary?
There seems no consistent way to fix the issue permanently although the above work arounds sometimes are effective, as outlined above. Is there any way this query can be directed to Sony / YouView themselves so it can be tracked and fixed in a new update?