Join now - be part of our community!

TV sound fails when DVD is 'high impact'

profile.country.GB.title
Rhys268
Explorer

TV sound fails when DVD is 'high impact'

I have a KD43 XE8396 TV and UBP X800B blu-ray player, both purchased in the last two months.

When playing a blu-ray or 4k dvd (specifically Dunkirk), at moments of high impact (loud explosions), the sound fails (as if the TV can't handle the volume of data). I've tested the same player and disks on another TV and they work fine. Equally, they work fine if I run the DVD audio to a bluetooth speaker. 

The info bar pops up at these points as if to signify an error - this also occurs if the TV is on mute. It seems that the volume of data being transferred is too great, but I don't know.

The vendor has swapped the TV and the same error occurs. Prior to this, Sony completed remote diagnistics, updates and factory resets - again, the same problem.

I've tried different cables and all HDMI ports.

Any and all guidance welcome - I have no clue but am pretty frustrated that a brand new, high spec TV/ player can't seem to handle a high action film. If anyone out there has the same film I'd appreciate you testing this too.

Many thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

As you have exhausted all the troubleshooting options, it would be best to contact support.

Here is the link for you: http://bit.ly/1Yo3R6C

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
pannedge
Explorer

I am having the same problem with the Dunkirk Bluray and 4K Ultra HD discs.  My TV is the KD49XE9005 and the player is the UBPX800. If I play the Bluray on a different player though through my KD49XE9005, there is no problem and if I play either the Bluray or 4k Ultra HD disc on my UBPX800 but connected to a different TV (I tried an older Sony TV and when I took the player and discs to the shop I bought the TV and player from in November, they tried it on a Panasonic) they both played without a problem.  Whilst at the shop they also connected the player to the same model of TV as I bought and the problem was identical.  I have been in contact with the Sony support, but so far they just say they are looking into it, but are suggesting it is the disc that is at fault, which is clearly not the case.

profile.country.GB.title
sihayco33
Explorer

I too had this problem with Dunkirk 4k and now have recieved the fix from Sony Central. Try this. it worked for me.

"With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-55A1 and UBP-X800, please follow the below in an attempt to resolve the issue on your UBP-X800:

• Select Setup on the Home screen
  • Select Audio Settings
  • Select BD Audio MIX Setting
  • Set to OFF (Default is On)"
profile.country.GB.title
pannedge
Explorer

Thank you for your response, sihayco33.  I tried your suggestion, but sadly it didn't work.  I am still awaiting a response from the Sony Support and when I get it, I'll share it.  Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

profile.country.GB.title
pannedge
Explorer

Further to my last post, I have now had a response from Sony Support.  They tell me they have tested the Dunkirk Blu ray and Ultra Blu ray on their equipment and have experienced the same noise drop out etc problem.  They have also tested other titles and have found that it is only the Dunkirk Blu ray discs that have the drop out problem and that it only happens on 4K TVs.  Sony Support says that they have been in contact with Warners (the producers/distributors of the film) who have confirmed that the discs will react in the way described when shown on 4K TVs, whether Sony TVs or another make.  Sony Support say that neither their Blu ray player nor their TV is faulty.  So where do we stand?  As I mentioned previously, having played the Dunkirk discs on the blu ray player, but onto my non 4k TV, I had no problems.  So it seems that one has to either keep the discs and accept that one cannot view the film on 4K TVs without the drop out problem or return the discs.  Neither is satisfactory, but I can't think of any other course of action, unfortunately.

profile.country.GB.title
Rhys268
Explorer

Thanks for your reply, I can see at least one other use on here has the same issue.

Sony's engineers are reviewing my case, I've had nothing tangible back from them yet. Concern of course is far wider than one film, if this is a limitation of the equipment that they can't recitify then it's a flawed product and should be replaced or refunded.

stevij
New

Hi Rhys

I recently bought the Sony KD-43XD8305 TV, the Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, the Q Acoustics soundbase and BT-TV Youview player, and a set of "Premium, High Speed" HDMI cables to connect it all. However, I had an extremely frustrating 3 days of trying to get a stable image off the  Blu-ray player - experiencing, image flicker, image dropouts, blanks screens, and image resets on both disk playback and even on the player menu.

I rang up for help from the retailer I brought the kit from and got no advice and also I followed the set up advice off the Sony support pages, but nothing worked. I (like many others) thought the player was at fault.

To cut a long story short, the problem lay in the cables I had used. They said they were Premium, High Speed cables, but I replaced the the connection to the Yourview player with Sandstrom Silver 21 GBps HDMI cable and the Blu-ray player with the Sandstrom Gold 27 GBps HDMI cable. The result was remarkable - no jitter, just crystal clear, highly detailed images. 

For me, any 4k HDR TV requires investment in high quality, high speed HDMI cables or you are wasting your investment.  And, Sony should insist on using these cables in their set up manual & webpages.

profile.country.GB.title
kungfuboo
Explorer

Just Purchased a new AF8 with a X800 player and had exactly the same issue with Sound drop outs on Dunkirk..did anyone find how to stop the issue ??..tried turning of 'BD Audio MIX Setting' ...but was then left with no sound !!

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
BIGR1978
Explorer

Hello.

I had the exact same issue but managed to resolve it, at least for the first sound dip I encountered during the first bomb raid on the beach about 7 mins or so in.

I have the Sony 4K “700” player not the “800” through a Sony KD55XD9305 & a Sony soundbox speaker that my tv stands on.

4K player setup; audio settings,

Digital Audio Output, I now have on Auto,

DSD Output Mode is now on Auto,

BD secondary audio remains on Off.

This instantly resolved my sound issue.

I watched Dunkirk on Blu-ray a couple of months ago and had no sound issue. The 4K disc dipped but so far I have managed to rectify this. If it happens again I will update this feed.

Good luck & fingers crossed!