Join now - be part of our community!

UHD 4K material and UHD Alliance definations - HDR - KD55X8505C

profile.country.DK.title
Merlins_Apprentice

UHD 4K material and UHD Alliance definations - HDR - KD55X8505C

Hi 

Im trying to understand this new approch from UHD alliance and what impact it will have on UHD TV's from 2015! Like the one i just bought KD55X8505C ?

Until now there is not much 4K material around to enyoy so I thought I was a little step ahead of things when bying this TV. Will it allready be outdated before the real 4K materials comes alive!

There are no 4K movies to buy and no way to play them yet if there was!

The only options now as I see it is streaming from Youtube and Netflix. 

If you have a 4K video recorder like a Sony Xperia phone with 4K then you also should be able to view it in 4K on the TV, but i read in another post here that you can not stream 4K over DLNA on Sony TV, so how then? 

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160104006605/en/UHD-Alliance-Defines-Premium-Home-Entertainm...

The UHD Alliance has developed three specifications to support the next-generation premium home entertainment experience. The three specifications cover the entertainment ecosystem in the following categories:

• Devices (currently, television displays, with other devices under consideration)
  • Distribution
  • Content

A high level overview of each technical specification can be found below.

Devices
    The UHD Alliance supports various display technologies and consequently, have defined combinations of parameters to ensure a premium experience across a wide range of devices. In order to receive the UHD Alliance Premium Logo, the device must meet or exceed the following specifications:
  • Image Resolution: 3840x2160
  • Color Bit Depth: 10-bit signal
  • Color Palette (Wide Color Gamut)
  • Signal Input: BT.2020 color representation
  • Display Reproduction: More than 90% of P3 colors
  • High Dynamic Range
  • SMPTE ST2084 EOTF
  • A combination of peak brightness and black level either:
    • More than 1000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level
      OR
    • More than 540 nits peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level

Distribution
    Any distribution channel delivering the UHD Alliance content must support
  • Image Resolution: 3840x2160
  • Color Bit Depth: Minimum 10-bit signal
  • Color: BT.2020 color representation
  • High Dynamic Range: SMPTE ST2084 EOTF

Content Master
    The UHD Alliance Content Master must meet the following requirements:
    <li
  • Color Bit Depth: Minimum 10-bit signal
  • Color: BT.2020 color representation
  • High Dynamic Range: SMPTE ST2084 EOTF

The UHD Alliance recommends the following mastering display specifications:
  • Display Reproduction: Minimum 100% of P3 colors
  • Peak Brightness: More than 1000 nits
  • Black Level: Less than 0.03 nits

The UHD Alliance technical specifications prioritize image quality and recommend support for next-generation audio.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Only 1 2015 Bravia TV  meets the "Ultra HD Premium" label criteria, it's the 75X9405C  which is....a Full Array LED backlighting.

Barring in mind that 'premium' sets the bar quite high.  

Cheers

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

"If you have a 4K video recorder like a Sony Xperia phone with 4K then you also should be able to view it in 4K on the TV, but i read in another post here that you can not stream 4K over DLNA on Sony TV, so how then? "

MHL cable from phone to TV or you can dump your 4k recordings to a PC or laptop that's capable of outputting 4k and use something like the excellent freeware Pot Player or Media Player Classic to play your 4k footage back.

True HDR is only capable on a Full Area Local Dimming set, which usually cost like £1000 more than your TV, but you will still get a lot of the benefits of HDR like better colour gamut and the rec BT2020 colour profile.

Even "Faux" HDR looks great I've been using it to play Grand Theft Auto 5 on PC@4k60fps. It looks amazing on that game specifically. If anyone here knows what "ENB" or "Sweetfx" is for pc gaming, then HDR reminds me of both of them, without the performance hit.