Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to turn on 3D mode

tim2525
Explorer

Unable to turn on 3D mode

Last week I installed the new firmware (version 3179) on Bravia KD-55X8509C to fix the problem with slow remote control response.

Since then I have been unable to select 3D mode (either side-by-side or over-under). It appears to select it, but when you go Back it turns it off again.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have reported this to Sony Customer Support  but all I get is stupid emails asking me to do a factory reset, disconnect external devices, install latest firmware, etc, etc.

Tags (1)
77 REPLIES 77
profile.country.GB.title
Notoriouswoo
Explorer

If you have 4K mode on. Try turning 4K mode off, thats what I did on my Apple TV. I had to play my sbs or OU 3D movies format in 1080p. 

profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

Yes I found that to be an issue when using my Xbox one

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
Notoriouswoo
Explorer

I’m guessing the external Xbox and android box are native 1080p and the TV is 4K.  And BluRay discs are native 1080p. In my experience sbs and OU mkvs or mp4 etc are usually also 1080p format.  So the TV doesn’t downscale only upscales. I could be wrong if I’m and someone feel free to correct me. So if your external Android, X box or other device is native 1080p your fine but if your Xbox is scorpion Xbox 4K I found I had to change to 1080p in settlings. Same with the 4K Android box and 4K Apple TV.  Hope this Helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

You are correct. That’s how I got my Xbox and my android box to work with my tv. However I am using stbemu and it’s directly on my Sony tv. I have a 3D section,but when a select a 3D movie it shows the split screen..sbs or up and down. The 3D option is not there when I select the menue. So now am wondering if it’s the app or Sony just did that on purpose. The option should be there all the time unless 3D cannot be viewed through apps you download from the App Store.

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
Notoriouswoo
Explorer

It’s because your TV is native 4K and will not allow you to switch back to 1080p like your external devices do. 4K Xbox one, 4K Apple TV ect will all allow you to switch back to 1080p. Normal Xbox one is natively 1080p, same  same with normal PS4. So in theory should play content automatically. But PS4 Pro is 4K but will allow you to switch back to 1080p. Which the format your trying to play will play fine. In my experience the content or app your trying to  stream will not play in a native 4K environment. Unless your device will allow you to switch back to 1080p. 

profile.country.GB.title
Notoriouswoo
Explorer

It’s because your TV is native 4K and will not allow you to switch back to 1080p like your external devices do. 4K Xbox one, 4K Apple TV ect will all allow you to switch back to 1080p. Normal Xbox one is natively 1080p, same  same with normal PS4. So in theory should play content automatically. But PS4 Pro is 4K but will allow you to switch back to 1080p. Which the format your trying to play will play fine. In my experience the content or app your trying to  stream will not play in a native 4K environment. Unless your device will allow you to switch back to 1080p. 4K 3D movies don't exist as yet.

profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

Ok..so am going to see if I can set my tv to 1080p and see what result I get. I will update later when I get home. Cudos to you !!

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
Notoriouswoo
Explorer

No problem happy to help. I had the same problem when I was trying to stream my 3D Plex movies. Wouldn’t stream unless I switch back to 1080p. All my tvs have the same problem. Sony 4K TV settings under home and settings  will only allow you to change External inputs. To comply with UHD/4K/ HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI Enhanced connection. In my experience it will not allow you to switch back. But please let me know if you find a way. It did annoy my when I first got the TV. I just use external devices now. 

profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

I am almost certain you are correct..I am thinking to just get a external hard drive and backup or download my movies to it then connect it to either my Xbox one or do it through plex

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.US.title
QB8Young
Explorer

You are all correct but that is for when you are accessing content via an INPUT (such as HDMI). My issue is using 3D modes while in an APP that is playing 3D SBS video. The 3D option is not present.