Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to watch ITV Hub and All 4 on Sony Bravia KD-55X8509C, is overridden by YouView

profile.country.en_GB.title
sony-cat

Unable to watch ITV Hub and All 4 on Sony Bravia KD-55X8509C, is overridden by YouView

Been trying to watch ITV Player and All 4, but have been unable to as opening the apps starts the configuration process for YouView.  I cannot set up YouView as I cannot tune the channels, it fails.

I read here that it isn't possible to use YouView with satalite:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/how-to-get-out-of-youview/td-p/2081233

So  using YouView doesn't seem to be an option.

How do I get round this so I can watch ITV Hub and All 4 again please?

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately ITV Hub and All4 apps are only available when YouView is enabled.  To be frank, Sony/YouView have made a real mess of things - but it is what it is....

YouView Enabled:

• You will gain the ITV Hub and All4 catchup TV apps
  • You will loose the ability to use HDD Recording
  • You will loose the satelitte (DVB-S/2) tuners

YouView Disabled:

• You will gain the USB HDD Recording functionality
  • The satellite tuners will work (DVB-S/2) - EPG only has Now/Next though as its not a Freesat TV
  • You will loose the ITV Hub and All4 catchup TV apps

Work-arounds

If having YouView disabled and you still wish to use ITV Hub and All4 Catchup apps, then you can:

• Cast via a smart phone or tablet
  • Purchase another add on device such as NowTV for £15 which has all the catchup apps available.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
sony-cat

Thanks Quinnicus, appreicate the explaination.  Saves me pulling my hair out.  

We (it's my parents TV, trying to help them with it) wouldn't miss the USB recording using the first option, but unfortunatly there is no Freeview signal here.  So we just can't use YouView at all.

Have just tried using the apps from an android phone to cast to the TV.  It works fine with YouTube, but the ITV and All 4 apps won't cast.  It shows a thumbnail of the programme on the TV screen, but the loading wheel just goes round and round and it never plays.  There must be something slighlty different about those apps to YouTube.

So looks like we are back to using an external box or a computer, just like my previous Bravia TV.  Within less than a year of buying it, just like my previous Bravia.  *sigh* software support on Sony TV's really is quite pathetic.  

I can feel your frustration too, you must get very tired of answering these kinds of questions.  But I am really greatful that you do!  Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya

You're most welcome :slight_smile:

I feel your frustrations too.  I prefer the YouView EPG myself, but loosing HDD recording is not a trade-off I can live with.  So I have YouView disabled.  I never use the catchup apps - but heard from a reply on these forums that casting should work, although I have never tried it myself.  This might spur me on to do so.

Unfortunately your question does come up frequently - maybe i'll create a FAQ at some point.  Sony has one, but their FAQ doesnt clearly explain the pro's and cons !  I wonder why!!

Considering that you do not have access to a Freeview signal and rely on satellite and also considering that Sonys TVs lack a functional satellite EPG (as its not Freesat) - why not invest in a Freesat box : see HERE

You would get HDD recording functions, Freesat EPG and all the main catchup apps.  This Freesat box is cheaper (HERE) as it doesnt have the recording facilities if they are not needed.

Just a suggestion anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
smiffyraf1
Explorer

having the same dramas now with a newly bought KD43XD8077.

I hate the Youview app just because the UI is slowed down so much when using it and navigating the menus the standard sony menu is so much cleaner and clearer and has been said the HDD recording was the clincher. sony need to sort this out and ditch youview. Was almost tempted to return the TV when i found out it was crippled by this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @smiffyraf1

Just remember you can disable YouView if its not to your liking:

To disable YouView

1. Press [Home] button on the remote control
  2. Go to 'Settings'
  3. Go to 'Channel Setup'
  4. Go to 'YouView Setup'
  5. Select 'Disable YouView'
  6. Select 'Yes' to confirm

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
macarte92

Best solution I've found for watching ITV Hub and All4 is casting from a mobile.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

I have succesfully re-compiled the ITVHUB app to work on my KD-55X8509 without having YouView enabled.

The only caveats are : 

You have to sideload the apk first ( Obviously )

You have to use Sideload Launcher or HaLauncher to load it - I did add the Android TV Leanback launcher tags to the apk, but it doesn't show in the normal app tiles, which is odd as I used the same process to add the tags to the Dramafever app that I recompiled and that shows up in the standard apps perfectly, no idea why.

You have to use a keyboard/mouse to navigate it.  Apart from that everything seems to work flawlessly.

ITVHUB

I added the "ANDROID TV"  text  to the ITVHUB tile in Photoshop before recompiling the apk, so I knew that I was loading my version rather than the one built in to the TV.

ITVHUB TILE

Unfortunately, I tried  to do the same for ALL4, but I break the apk's digital signature when recompiling, so it crashes on startup.

Still, it's proof that it is possible to use ITVHUB without YouView.

profile.country.GB.title
kevinayers
Explorer

I successfully installed All4 by sideloading the app.

However when I try to view downloaded programs they break up. Not all the time but enough to make them unwatchable.

Streaming is not a problem.

I'm assuming it is some codex problem.

Any advice?

profile.country.GB.title
kevinayers
Explorer

Updated to Marshmallow and no longer a problem with All 4 downloads. Picture quality has also improved.

All I need now is a remote that controls BBC iplayer which I sideloaded. My airmouse lacks a few controls.

This is a better version than the pre-installed one.