Join now - be part of our community!

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

So, apart from not being able to write on disk which is not formated as internal, even the one that is formatted as such is unusable becuse it keeps disappering from the system.

And the only way to get it back is restart.

It happend a few times already and it seems that it is related to standby time.

EDIT: So, this happens only in REC port on my 50W75C. Solution is to use any other port.

82 REPLIES 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I have reported this issue back to Sony and have added it to the bugs and issues list:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2301972#M17191

Cheers

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Kuschelmonschter

Sounds like the USB port just dies. I assume this to be yet another severe MediaTek driver issue.

I saw an interview with some MediaTek guy the other day who said that they are perceived as a hardware company whereas in fact they are actually doing so much more software. So they consider themselves being a software company. Yet they produce such *****ty drivers...

I'm not sure that it dies, at least not all the way since TV still can see that drive is plugged in.

And Mediatek....... they are pretty crappy. But what else? Every other better SoC alredy comes with modems and what not inside. The rest of chinese SoCs are even worse. Tegra? Overkill just for the TV. But I would gladly pay premium price for a TV which is supported for a 3-5 years. But since all they do is replace everything with new model once per year (or more when it comes to phones) I really don't see the point buying XD93 with the same bugs for 4x more money because picture is not that much better.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It happened again this night.

Added the information to my own bug tracker which keeps growing and growing. Especially USB seems severely broken.

profile.country.NL.title
hija31

@Kuschelmonschter

I assume this to be yet another severe MediaTek driver issue.

But the issue upeeard only after MM update !!!!!!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

1. There has been no adoptable storage in previous Android iterations. So we can't say whether USB had such long-term issues before.

2. M contains updated MediaTek drivers.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Kuschelmonschter

It probably makes a difference whether there are apps installed on the pen drive or not.

I think not. I had two of them at the same time and the empty one (just formated without any migration) was plugged in REC port and it also disappered overnight. Just like the one with apps and data.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You are probably right. A guy on German forums reported the same thing for a HDD registered for recording. So it is not just a problem with "internal storage".

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Not that I'll use recording much but even that is not reliable. Great downgrade overall :angry:

I wonder who is doing testing (if any) and how since such an obvious day to day Average Joe usage bugs goes through. :anguished:

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_J

Ah, have also seen this problem or some variation of it that may be related but note I am using an older version of ES File Explorer, details below.

First, have a 43x8307C and updated using a USB, powered up okay and has been running for a few days. LIke what looks to be improved picture and a quicker startup from power on. Also look to have lost the power up problem of non response to the remote. Have see the problem of playback of videos over the network where it goes back to start if using the left right arrows but also see this on another Android TV box. Moving on.

When I first run ES File Explorer, experienced the same problems as others re. writing to USBs. Had the message pop up offering to give ES File Explorer access when attempting to access a USB not used for recording. There after ES File Explorer listed the two fitted USB sticks twice, first off each with 16 characters as their device name and also tagged as SD and then again also listed with the device names USB 4002 and 2003 and with what looks like an "eject" symbol and tagged with the USB symbol. Selecting a USB by the multi character device name gave access to the internal structure, folders and so on.
Select USB 4002 (the non record usb stick) and its corresponding multicharacter device name disappears from the device list, had previously gone through the "allow the app to access the USB device" for this USB stick. Via this route the top level folders are now found under a folder called USBStorage.
Select USB 2003 (set as the record USB), click ok to allow the app to access the device, the USB then became no longer accessable. Backed out of ES File Explorer to the home screen and then the USB Drive Connected page opened and included the option to register the USB for recording. Ignored and tried to access the recordings by opening the Recorded Title List app and it also found none of the recorded programmes, the recorded prorammes row had also disappeared from the Discovery list.

Unplugged and plugged the USB stick back into the TV and the recordings were once again visible. The recorded programmes row reappeared in the Discovery list. As mentioned, the USB looks to go offline following some attempts at access by apps.

The version of ES File Explorer used is 3.2.5. The last version without lots of enhancements. :slight_smile:

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

It doesn't matter which file manager you use. If you try to give any of them USB access by default, that USB disk is gone.

X-plorer ask you that also and if you select OK or "always allow" and then OK, disk is gone. But if you select "cancel" you can accesss the disk because it is already mounted.