Join now - be part of our community!

USB HDD recommendations for kd55xd7005

sonyandroid
Explorer

USB HDD recommendations for kd55xd7005

Please could you folks post your recommendations for fast (USB3) HDDs for this tv for playback of videos via media apps such as Kodi, VLC and MX player via the superspeed USB 3 port.

2TB or higher capacity preferably 4TB (I think this is the max size drive for this tv)

Thankyou

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Officially Sony will only recommend their own HDDs for compatibility with their own TVs.  However a useful FAQ can be found HERE.

In regards to maximum capacity, this should help too:  HERE

In regards to actual HDDs - in times gone by from previous years (before Android TVs), Western Digital HDDs were the best for compatiblity wise.  Also in general terms if its a 2.5" HDD, it can be non-mains powered (i.e. USB powered), but if 3.5" HDD it should be mains powered.

Hope this helps anyhow.

Cheers

sonyandroid
Explorer

Thanks for the info.

One of the links states the max "file" size but not the max "drive capacity" size although I read elsewhere is was 2TB (which is obviously not true as I have used a 4TB successfully) and somewhere else it said max size was 4TB!

Has anyone had any experience of using a drive capacity > 4 TB ?

sonyandroid
Explorer

I forgot to ask - has anyone also had any experience of using a USB splitter/HUB on these TVs ? (Sony say they are not supported, but Sony say a lot of things that aren't true....:smileyhappy:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

People have tried in the past to use USB Hubs/Splitters and they have failed :slight_smile:  Although I havnt seen anyone try on a Android TV as far as I am aware - Maybe ill try it tomorrow and get back to you.

Cheers

sonyandroid
Explorer

That would be good, thanks.

There is one thread on here saying someone used a cheap usb hub and it worked fine.

I may just take a gamble and buy a cheap one, no great loss if it doesn't work and hopefully if i can get a powered one with switches i can power down the drives when not in use, as at the moment they are on constantly when connected to the tv even if not being accessed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sonyandroid

I have some good news :slight_smile:

I have successfully tested both a powered and non-powered USB 3 HUB using 3 HDDs (2x 4TB and 1x 2TB) and works with no issues.  See phones below.

Equipment:

• Anker USB 3.0 4-Port Hub - See HERE
  • Inateck Mini 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub - See HERE
  • WD Elements 2TB USB 2.0 - See HERE
  • Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 - See HERE
  • Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 - See HERE
  • Sony Android TV - KD-55XD8577 (FW Version: 3.533 - Android 5.1)

The first test was using the AIDA64 Tools to see if they were detected.

DSCN0978.JPG

DSCN0979.JPG

DSCN0980.JPG

Next was to test via KODI, as you can see all 3 HDDs detected - and I could playback content from each HDD:

DSCN0986.JPG

Photo of test of Powered USB Hub (Anker):

DSCN0982.JPG

Photo of test of Non-Powered USB Hub:

DSCN0988.JPG

Have fun :slight_smile:

Cheers

sonyandroid
Explorer

Awesome, you are a legend Quinnicus !

Thanks for going to all that trouble.

I have a couple of the Seagate Backup Plus drives so that's great news, just need to buy a hub now.

I'll update this thread with my experience once i get the hub.

Incidentally, if it helps anyone I did notice that if you try to playback films via Kodi or VLC or other video apps using the slower USB ports instead of the USB3 port on the tv I experienced hardware acceleration errors, audio with no picture and the apps crashing altogether, so I guess USB2 is just not fast enough (sony do say that but just wanted to prove it in practice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're Welcome -

Proof of concept has been confirmed - and now I can referr to this thread if others have same/similar question :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip about the USB2 port too.

Cheers