Join now - be part of our community!

Vertical shadow lines with panning shot on light background

profile.country.GB.title
westto
Explorer

Vertical shadow lines with panning shot on light background

Hello there,

I have a Sony KD-65ZD9 Android TV.

Recently, i have noticed dark vertical shadow lines when a shot pans from left to right, or right to left. The shadow lines are more obvious when the background is lighter. This happends on HD TV (1080i) and BluRay (1080p). You cannot see the lines when the picture is stationary, ie with no panning. The lines are always in the same place. I have blacked out the room to rule out any reflections from object in the room or out of the window.

This is very distracting. Is this a known issue? And what steps can i take to rectify this problem?

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi westto

This sounds exactly like 'banding', a common characteristic of large LCD panels which is always present to some degree.

If you look at a static, solid-colour image on the screen, you will probably be able to see these darker bands; they're much less visible in a stationary image but they become more obvious with movement, for example when a panned image is displayed.

As such it's difficult to say whether the banding you describe is a fault, but if you think your BRAVIA has only recently started to display really obvious banding, you should probably get it checked out by contacting the Sony Support team. 

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
westto
Explorer

Hello Mick,

Thanks for your message. I deliberately bought this high-spec TV to get the best picture quality. And upon arricval, i tested it thouroughly and was happy. So I am a bit perplexed to see this banding happeing now.

As you suggested, i have emailed Sony support, and look forward to their reply.

Thanks again,

West