Join now - be part of our community!

Warranty

profile.country.GB.title
Millarz
Explorer

Warranty

Hi,  Purchased a Sony Bravia Android tv yesterday.  Comes with a 5 year guarantee.  Sales assistant in shop said that this does not cover certain parts.  I said "so if I get a vertical line down the screen will it be covered by Sony".  He told me no it wouldn't.  Was this a cynical ploy to get me to purchase their repair and support plan? 

I've read Sony's guarantee and can't find anything to say that the lcd screen is omitted. 

So have I been 'blagged'.  Still time to cancel.

Thanks for reading.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Millarz 

Cancel the whole purchase, and find a retailer with honest assistants.

Richer Sounds and John Lewis are more the mark.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Millarz
Explorer

My question to the sales guy was after 4 years would it still be guaraneed under their 5 year warranty, which I see I didn't mention.  I've read on here about people having trouble with sony warranty.  

I'm happy with the tv although perhaps wishing I hadn't purchased an Android.  But that's another story!

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

John Lewis have a 5 year guarantee and Richer Sounds 6 years. I've used the John Lewis one where a 4.5 year old TV  conked out and couldn't be repaired. Only tip would be to reject their first offer of a replacement if you don't think it's a good offer, and always "upgrade" ie pay extra as that counts as a new TV with another 5 years guarantee.  In my case I went for a big upgrade but even if the TV is only £1 extra it will have a new 5 year guarantee

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Millarz 

All Sony’s top of the range TVs have Android.

Not to want Android is to lean towards a Samsung or an LG.

How explicable that is!

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…