Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM2 headphones deactivates HDR on Netflix when paired with KD-65XE9305 television

profile.country.CZ.title
neslote
Explorer

WH-1000XM2 headphones deactivates HDR on Netflix when paired with KD-65XE9305 television

I just returned my Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones for a refund because when paired with my KD-65XE9305 television they deactivated HDR on the Netflix app that came pre-installed on the TV. When I unpaired the headphones, HDR was working fine again on Netflix. I noticed this while watching Godless.

It seems very strange that the bluetooth audio connection is somehow disrupting the HDR video. I wonder if it is due to the LDAC codec, because HDR worked fine when I paired with other Bluetooth Headphones, Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2.

Is this a known issue that will be fixed? If so, I might reconsider buying the headphones again. They had a great sound and there were no AV synch issues.

I don’t know if it’s important but I live in the Czech Republic and have the TV connected to my Sony STR-DN1030 AV receiver via HDMI for ARC.

The reason I got the headphones is because my wife doesn’t like to have the sound very loud. I wanted to wear the headphones so we could watch the same thing with me having the sound high while she listens at a quieter volume to the sound coming through the speakers. The WH-1000XM2 seemed to worked well for this until I noticed the HDR problem.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @neslote and welcome to the Community.

That does seem odd.

Did it occur on any other streaming or files?

profile.country.CZ.title
neslote
Explorer

I agree it is very odd. I only did this test Netflix. I didn't have any locally saved HDR files to put on a thumb drive to test with. Netflix is the only streaming service I have.

When I had the Sony headphones paired, the HDR symbol was missing in Netflix in the Godless homescreen. Instead it showed only "HD". When streaming the show, the HDR symbol was missing in the TV's picture settings menu.

When I unpaired the Sony headphones and went back to Netflix, the HDR symbol was back again in the Godless home screen. HDR also reappeared in the TV's picture settings menu when streaming the show.

profile.country.GB.title
Fontmeister

I know this post is old but I also have the same problem with Dolby Vision deactivating on Netflix on my KD-55XE9305 television when using the WH-1000XM3 headphones, to double check I paired the TV with an old Sony Ericsson MW600 bluetooth headset (yeah really old I know but it still works) and the same thing happened, therefore I have concluded that it is not the headphones or headsets but a problem whenever you connect ANY bluetooth headset to the TV runiing Netflix in HDR/Dolby Vision it will it will deactivate and play in HD.

profile.country.CZ.title
neslote
Explorer

I'm now using Bose Quiet Comfort ii headphones via Bluetooth with the xe93. Netflix is working fine with hdr when the headphones are paired.

I did try another pair of wh1000xm2 after my initial post and they also worked fine with my TV and HDR. I'd assumed there was software fix deployed. Anyhow, I ended up returning them in the 14 day period because a great offer came available on the Bose.

Get Outlook for Android