Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
profile.country.GB.title
cjguk1970

That's worse than I thought! Hopefully the Sony situation isn't so bad. I wonder of they're holding out and changing over to Freeview Play as that's getting an Android TV update https://www.avforums.com/news/freeview-play-viewers-get-android-tv-homescreen-update.18698 

profile.country.GB.title
cjguk1970

They're not available yet (or ever), I do have a work around to get at least iPlayer on but it's not ideal

profile.country.GB.title
ksaro1

FWIW - I have an older model Bravia (KD-49XF) that has the newest Android TV update and it too doesn't show BBC Iplayer as an app. I can install it via Aptoide TV, but then you can't login/register, so that is useless.

However, when using YouView to view a BBC channel, the Red Button worked and took me to BBC Iplayer? It must have been the previously installed version before the Android TV update I think? But I'm puzzled where this app actually resides on the Bravia because the only way I can access it is via the Red Button on a BBC TV channel. But it must be installed somewhere on my Bravia.

Try the above on your Bravia and see if the Iplayer shows.

No 2021 Sony TVs have the catch-up apps and are currently being mis sold as the official website states that they have them. I have raised a case against Sony for mis selling these products.

Rashers88
New

I have an AG8 and was having the same issue but after a very frustrating search found the apps under “apps” then there was a tile “live tv and catch up” which seems to be youview linked and all the apps were there...pretty ridiculous as the search function cant find iplayer and you cant pin to your homescreen for easy access nor do you get the play next/recommendations like before..

given i dont use TV via aerial i had ignored this tile..

not sure if the 2021 have the same option but this worked for me so sharing in case others can use it..but 100% agree this is an awful update especially as the banner said something like the new update will make it easier to find content and give you more control on your homescreen..neither are true it seems

EDIT: you can add the Live TV tile to your favourites in the homescreen..so i take that part back but still cant add specific channels..

profile.country.GB.title
SamTheShrew
Explorer

Wow, shocked at that.  Flagrant false advertising which is ridiculous from such a big company who I have always been loyal to.  What a farce.

I shall contact Sony Consumer Relations as suggested to pursue this.

profile.country.GB.title
ksaro1

I recently bought a KE-55A8 and it too didn’t initially show IPlayer and other UK streaming services. However once I signed in to all of the UK streaming services like IPlayer they then showed on my home page.

You have to go to the live TV and catch up app first to sign in.

Now I can select any of the UK streaming services from my Home Screen.

profile.country.GB.title
AlanWainwright1
Explorer

I just updated my 2021 Bravia to the latest software version today. How disappointing to see that the expected inclusion of catch up TV channels are still missing. How long do we have to wait for Sony to address this?

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@ksaro1You have a 2020 model TV and so will not experience the same issue regarding lack of catch-up TV services.

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@AlanWainwright1The issue lies with Google and their lack of an agreement with the app vendors.

I understand why you would take it up with Sony, as I have, as they're the manufacturer of the TV but, the operating system the TV is based on is developed and owned by Google.

The fact is, Sony shouldn't have released the TVs minus UK catch-up TV services here in the UK and neither should I or anyone else have purchased one on the basis of "the apps are coming", because they may not ever arrive😡.