Join now - be part of our community!

Which TV

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

Which TV

Following on from my post regarding KD-55A1 faulty screen could I ask members for advice regarding any replacement.

My Sony A1 is a lovely looking set with great sound but it is flawed, Dolby Vision is all but unwatchable being way too dark even with a dark room, I have tried so many settings many copied and tried from various forums but still no good, it is slightly brighter through Sky.

We require a bright picture as our lounge is west facing so gets lots of sun, it needs to have decent sound as the wife hates sound bars preferring an uncluttered look.

We watch movies mostly via the apps through the TV, 55 inch is big enough and price wise around £2000 or less hopefully.

I have been in some shops but they all seem to have very high quality pictures but of course I cannot view a realistic picture as I would have at home because none can show me other than demo modes.

I would like to enjoy Dolby Vision but I’m quite underwhelmed by the picture I’m receiving through the A1.

The staff in store tell me the new Sony TV’s have much brighter settings and mentioned a measurement of nits which means not much to me.

I know this is a Sony community and I would like to stay with the brand but my son suggests I look at QLED televisions.

If anyone can offer real world viewing advice that would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Apart that talking about qled in here is like mentioning the devil :wink: if you mean by the name a Samsung LCD it is not even supporting Dolby vision at all and could be brighter (a top one not all)  in some scenes (i.e. snow or hockey) but not on other due to technology limitation.

Newer Sony OLED have an higher peak brightness (especially the a90j) compared to the wonderful A1 and implement a TV led dolby vision that is better than the player led implemented on older Sony OLED. IF you want to stay on budget you should go for the a80j

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Headhurts 

These nits are units of brightness per area. so no need to tear your hair out over them 🙂

https://www.howtogeek.com/402006/what-are-nits-of-brightness-on-a-tv/

Richer Sounds, and probably anyone who would price-match them, have LG’s flagship OLED, the G1, in the 55in size for just under £2,000. This has most (all?) of what you want.

Or the Sony A80, as @rooobb describes, for a bit less. Shame the current A90 has moved out of your price bracket.

Samsung offer the QE55QN95A at this price point. No Dolby Vision, and they seem to be having trouble getting the basic players this year. But I do like the One Connect box approach Samsung have.

We got last year’s flagship LG, the GX, as we thought it aced the comparable QLED, and our 2015 Samsung JS9000 has been relegated to the kitchen/diner. It took a while to get the LG looking as good, though 😀

We got the GX, since although it was the same as the CX technically, we could hang it flat on the wall, with its companion soundbar beneath it, and no wires showing. I even got wifely approval for the wireless rears,  £150 extra, that the soundbar can drive, so we have full 5.1 and still no wires showing.

The G1 this year is technically superior to the C and other LG OLEDs, though.

Its a good idea to see these sets side by side if you can. That is what sold us on the GX over the CX; technically as good, but light years ahead when it comes to considerations of decor.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

35B8E05C-A002-452A-9AB4-B0104AEAD2E7.jpeg

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown2 using the Sony community to support an LG Oled is quite strange :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

Superb reply with plenty to think about, we can go higher in price so I will bare that in mind.

I am beginning to think any TV without Dolby Vision is no bad thing.

😁

Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb 

Know the enemy 😛

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown2  BTW  have also a LG CX and Pana GZ950 , almost any OLED in the market :wink: 

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@Headhurts  Buy an LG G1.

It has all of the UK catch-up TV services, the EVO panel and doesn't shackle you to Sony's woefully inadequate customer support, such as it is.

I've had LG, Panasonic and Samsung over the past ten years and none are as bad as Sony for their generic responses and lack of support from staff not properly trained or familiar with Sony products.

profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

It really saddens me that companies take this attitude.

My Sony A1 with the sub woofer built into the ‘A’ Frame and no feet as such is a beautiful looking set not many people want to take advantage of guarantees unless really necessary.

I don’t want people coming to my home unless really necessary.

Hughes TV took it away yesterday so we will see what transpires but thanks for your help and I will bare this in mind should I need to purchase another set.