Join now - be part of our community!

Xbox one x HDR issues (KD55X8507C)

profile.country.GB.title
Bravestarr
Explorer

Xbox one x HDR issues (KD55X8507C)

Hi all,

i am am experiencing issues with HDR gaming on my Sony tv. I have the enhanced HDMI on and all the green ticks are active on my Xbox one x settings.

when going into a game that uses HDR the image is suddenly washed out and dull.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have a fix?

12 REPLIES 12

On my XE90 the Xbox One X HDR picture initially looked as you describe — You will probably need to set up the picture settings again — The brightness and contrast should both be set at maximum (brightness was auto-set to max, by the tv, but contrast was at 50% making the picture look washed out). I also found Cinema Home mode to be slightly better than Cinema Pro. If you have blackpoint and gamma, they can be left at default. Various dynamic contrast enhance functions are specific to the model of tv -you can try tweaking some of these but the base contrast is usually the culprit...

profile.country.GB.title
Bravestarr
Explorer

I understand that I could change all setting to suit the HDR setting but this is only useful when games utilise the HDR mode. So this would result in a vice versa issue with the standard image setting being poor. I hope this issue gets resolved by either Sony or Microsoft in an update, but for now I will stick to 4K with vivid settings as I said earlier the image is amazing.

profile.country.GB.title
les2050
Explorer

I was having the same issues on my xbox one S it was really bugging me the picture quilty was terrible couldnt find a fix. i upgraded to xbox one X as alot of people were complaining of bad picture quilty and blaming one S upscaling in HDR  problem. one x was defently better but i did have to play with the settings alot to get them how i needed them, Also check your FIRMWARE version as autoupdate on the TV said i was uptodate but when i checked sony website there FIMRWARE was newer. i ran update via usb then after did update factory reset the TV. picture quilty is now amazing and im very happy, before this i was about to get rid of sony tv. i have kd-55x8509c the list of fixes on sonys website  for HDR /4k Fixes and gaming input lag were impressive and id say fimrware fixed all my issues.

Alex

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

Bringing this over from a similar post i made earlier.

I looked into this on the x1x internal q&a settings for Picture settings .. Hdr  4k  etc. Found something interesting about 5-6 pages in. It says set your tv colour space to BT2020 on your TV ( Action menu - picture - advanced settings - colour - colour space - Change from auto to BT.2020 ) Tried it myself because i was not happy with HDR set to on and like others i was defaulting my tv to the Vivid setting and turning HDR off on the x1x
Its definately better.. My guess is the TV colour space auto setting is not picking up the x1x HDR setting.

Like you i am itching to experiance great HDR.. been disapointing until now.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@NRG117 wrote:

It says set your tv colour space to BT2020 on your TV ( Action menu - picture - advanced settings - colour - colour space - Change from auto to BT.2020 ) Tried it myself [...] Its definately better.. My guess is the TV colour space auto setting is not picking up the x1x HDR setting.

Yeah, apparently there is a bug with the HDR as well. I proceeded like you with HDR videos downloaded from YouTube via computer. Apart that only Plex plays them as HDR (with the HDR logo in picture settings), even so I must set the colour space to BT.2020 manually to get decent colours. 

The problems is that those values are global, so when I switch to SDR content BT.2020 still applies and the colours get far too saturated. One would expect Sony to work on/fix at least THAT.

profile.country.GB.title
pashear1892

Link to the firmware you used via USB please? 

thx in advance

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

Yep far too saturated.  i am with you on this 100% Faces are almost red.. Like sonys i expect
profile.country.GB.title
pashear1892

Have you a link to the fw you used please? (aplogies if this has posted twice).

profile.country.GB.title
YAY87XONE
Explorer

I had the same problem with my Xbox one x on the Sony X900E. Turns out you should not force the tv to put out HDR10 but set it to auto. The Dashboard ( or “home”) isn’t in HDR so when set to auto the tv will put it on HDR automatically if a game or app that supports HDR is opened. For me this solved the issue. Good luck.