Join now - be part of our community!

XF9005 doesnt enable hdr button in windows 10

profile.country.GB.title
sparkes81

XF9005 doesnt enable hdr button in windows 10

Im trying to get my gtx1080 laptop to output hdr via hdmi to XF9005.

The 'HDR and WCG' button shows up in windows > settings > system > display, when i plug the hdmi cable in.

But I cannot switch it on because its greyed out.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi sparkes81,

You don't mention what OS type and version you are using. I presume you are on Windows 10. So try the following:

• Update your Windows to the very last version (April 2018 Update)
  • Update your GeForce Nvidia drivers to the very last version
  • Set the Nvidia Color Settings under 'Change Resolution' to 32bit, 10bpc, YCbCr420, Limited
  • Make sure your HDMI cable is certified as HDMI 2.0 cable if you plan to use frame rates above 30 with 4K resolution
  • Enable the HDMI Enhanced Format on the TV under HOME > Settings > External Inputs > HDMI Signal Format
  • Connect the HDMI cable from the laptop to HDMI 2 or 3 on the TV
  • Disable the built-in display on the laptop, by selecting 'Second screen only' when pressing 'Win key + P'
  • Restart your laptop and look again for the HDR & WCG button and enable it

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
sparkes81

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I did nearly everything you suggested but still the HDR & WCG button remains greyed out.

The one thing i couldn't select was YCbCr420, 32bit, 10bpc and Limited.

The only YCbCr420 settings available to me were; 32bit, 8bpc and Limited

The same was true for YCbCr444 - just 32bit, 8bpc and Limited options available.

However, using YCbCr422 I could select 8bpc, 10bpc or 12bpc and the Limited or Full option

was available then too.

None of these YCbCr settings helped with my issue.

I tried each and every combination but still no good,

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

YCbCr422 10bpc with Limited range should be fine to use.Try setting your video signal to this setting and then restart windows. If after the restart you still don't have the HDR option available, you probably have to uninstall and cleanup the GeForce driver using DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) by entering windows safe mode. You can view lots of videos on how to do this on YouTube. After the graphics drivers have been cleaned up, disconnect the laptop from internet and re-install the latest GeForce drivers.

I presume you have been trying all these different settings as I mentioned in my previous post, while the laptop screen was off and windows was being displayed ONLY on the TV?

profile.country.GB.title
sparkes81

Wow! Thanks for your speedy reply.

I always use DDU in safe mode to remove old drivers. You have got me thinking about drivers now though.

When I install nvidia drivers I only install the graphics driver and physX system software.

I dont bother with the Gforce Experience software, 3d driver or the HD audio driver.

Could it be that i need to install these?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

The options you mention shouldn't make a difference. Although the HD audio driver is important for the HDMI sound output to work on the GPU.

If any other display connected to the laptop other than your TV is detected by Windows, the HDR option will not be enabled. So as I pointed out several times already, set the video signal to YCbCr422 10bpc with Limited range when only the TV is connected and restart windows. You did not mention at what resolution and refresh rate are you trying to enable HDR?

If you still are unable to get the HDR button active, then I suggest you post the issue on the GeForce forums, as often other users are aware of better working driver versions than the latest where HDR might be broken. Reports are that version 391.35 and 398.36 work without any issues.

profile.country.GB.title
sparkes81

Hi im outputting in 3840 x 2160p (native) @60hz. and yes my tv is the only device connected to

and selected on my laptop. im Using 398.36 Nvidia driver.

ive set the video signal to YCbCr422 10bpc with Limited range and rebooted but still just a greyed out button.

thanks for your help. much appreciated

profile.country.GB.title
sparkes81

its worth a mention that games play well with this setup and the tv jumps to this 4k res when I plug the

laptop in to play games. I have no complaints there.

I just found it odd that the HDR and WCG button was greyed out in windows and wondered if there was an easy solution.

thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

You can try to reduce the refresh rate to 30Hz. Also try using a different HDMI cable if possible. 4K@60Hz HDR requires certified HDMI cables. Don't forget that only HDMI 2 & 3 on your TV must be used for this. Any kind of repeaters, docking stations, receivers or amplifiers, etc. must be avoided on the HDMI connection between the laptop and the TV. Try also restarting the TV as a final attempt. You can find instructions on how to properly power cycle your TV (soft reset) on this article.

But very most probably you are facing a software issue either from Windows or the graphics driver. If you have previously used your laptop for a 4K@60Hz HDR signal through its HDMI port and are sure that the hardware is up to the task, then definitely look to solve the current issue around Windows 10 and the GeForce drivers. So give the previous versions of the graphics driver also a try.

If 4K@60Hz HDR has never worked before through the laptop HDMI port, then you might have to investigate if the laptop manufacturer has implemented an HDMI 2.0 port on the laptop.

In both cases, I am sure the GeForce forums is the place to be for these type of issues, since the technology is fairly new and many just like you are there trying to fix their HDR issues with Windows 10 and the GeForce GTX cards.

As always, keep us posted!