Join now - be part of our community!

XH9505 ITV live TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
puneetm
Explorer

XH9505 ITV live TV

Hi 

From the youview app, accessing ITV Hub doesn't show the option of watching Live TV. I only see option for watching catch up TV. Is this intended behaviour? If so, what is the alternative way to watching ITV channels live? 

Many thanks 

Puneet 

38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

@royabrown2 

Lol...that will just confuse as it doesn't store the EPG so cannot record TV.

I was going to say just get a Monitor and a PC and stop wasting everyone's time.

I've got some shoes but I have no laces, does anyone know how I can run?

An aerial cost £150 to install maximum.

Knowledge is priceless.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Eskimosony 

You are thinking of raw satellite that only has a Now & Next EPG, but Freesat comes with an EPG every bit as comprehensive as the terrestrial EPG, and there are plenty of Freesat recorders out there.

I don’t know if the Sony TVs can record Freesat or not, though. But anyway @puneetm wasn’t asking about recording, he was asking about live.

I’ve got some shoes with no laces that I can still run in, by the way, thanks to the magic of Velcro.

And I’m just going to run down to your aerial installer, to see about getting a TV aerial in my ground floor flat. It can’t go on the outside of the building, but maybe he can put one in the loft. Oh, wait……. 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

@royabrown2 

Lol I gave up on this thread when I heard he didn't want any more cables coming out of his TV...like just feed them round the back so no one can see and by the sounds of it, it's only the power cable anyways!!

You make is sound like he lives in a dungeon...oh hang on..

I was assuming that he has an old Sony that just had the raw inputs because who would buy a brand new one and not use an aerial...oh wait, this guy....who has a TV license but can't actually watch TV.

And hey I offered up the TVPalyer App which has loads of the Freeview channels for free but I was snubbed as it's not up to our man's standards....so whoop de whoop...

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@puneetm 

Just to add that I have just checked out Roku, on my Premiere, and BBC, itv, All4, My5 and UKTV Play all offer their live channels on their Players on this device. Also BBC Sounds for radio, through I am still trying to get local radio stations other than my most local.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Honestly, streaming ITV live feed is a waste of time on anything above a 540p screen. Unlike the BBC which has the iPlayer running at 4k during key broadcasts, the ITV hub is a joke, and that's if you even get the chance to view live feed.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Eskimosony 

You would be surprised how often users of Sony TVs posting here can’t, or don’t want to, use a terrestrial aerial. I know I was, at first.

We get them on the YouView Community as well, where the requirement to use an aerial, at least initially, to tune in the terrestrial channels in order to get the Players still applies.

But to pooh-pooh people without a terrestrial aerial is old thinking; it might have made sense in the days before smart TVs, when there wasn’t much you could do with the TV without one, but it doesn’t make sense now.

The first smart TVs rather clung to the old thinking a bit, where they still came on showing the last terrestrial channel you watched, and ‘Smart’ was a button you had to press to get to the smart features, just as AV was a button you had to press to get to the connected devices.

But no longer; just look at the main menu on any modern TV, where live terrestrial TV is often no longer given pride of place, let alone being the default option, and is just one of a plethora of menu options among the smart apps and the device ports you are offered.

So yes, you can perfectly well use a TV as a monitor; and why get the apps, etc., from a separate device, when you can have them built in?

The second thing I have learned being on here is that your lovingly hand-crafted advice is likely to be met with any one of a number of degrees of gratitude or ingratitude, from effusive thanks through qualified acceptance, stony silence, complaint, disbelief and denial to actual outrage, and you must not take it personally.

In fact, treat it as a learning experience; it’s amazing how many possible solutions can be found, especially if you listen to the OP. In this case, the OP thought he ought to be able to have a set of Players each of which offered a live option for its channels. And indeed, the Roku devices offer this.

But it’s unpredictable; somebody else might find switching from Player to Player a right faff, compared to just changing channels, something that TVPlay comes close to offering, though the Holy Grail here would be a full Freeview EPG that tapped into all the Freeview channels, but internet-delivered.

I think we are going to get this for the big five broadcasters, the ones who already offer all their channels over the internet, soonish, as evinced by Arqiva distancing itself from them. I guess when you run all the terrestrial transmitters, with all their different coverage limitations, you see only downsides to them being replaced by IP channels 😢

But my mantra, regarding the advice I give here, is that it is worth every penny the recipient is paying for it; and so, nothing lost if they don’t accept it. Except the recipient gets to keep their problem. Which they do anyway, if the advice I give doesn’t work 😛

profile.country.GB.title
Mattj204
New

Really quite interesting. I tried to use Apple TV to mirror my laptop screen on my Sony TV. When I watch recorded TV on the ITV app - via Apple TV (generation 2) works perfectly on my Sony TV. As soon as I switch to live ITV - both my laptop screen & the Sony TV screen go dark. 

100% an issue with Sony TV and live ITV (BBC works perfectly direct through the TV app section.) 

Can someone from Sony just advise on the original question (understand there are work around) - I paid several ££££ on my TV - just want to be able to watch it now. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mattj204 

What happens when you try to watch live itv on your laptop, but not casting?

Is that OK, or does the screen go dark then?

And when you say Apple TV, where is this running, on the laptop, or on the TV?

And while you think this is an issue involving the Sony TV, do you think that can reach back down the link and blank out your laptop?

It would be interesting to know what the result would be if you cast to another make of TV; but so far, have you established anything beyond the itv app on your laptop objecting to live itv being cast?

profile.country.GB.title
puneetm
Explorer

First of all -- thank you everyone for taking out time to share your advice and offering help. Genuinely grateful. 

Will summarise my personal learnings below -- will emphasise personal here as this is strictly my point of view 

1 - The solution that I eventually settled for was getting a coaxial cable that plugged into my TV directly from the TV wall socket in my apartment -- didn't need anything else, as my apartment block has a communal aerial (didn't know this was a thing as I am not from the UK). Sharing here as this may turn out helpful for other novices like me. From there -- setting up the channels was easy from settings -> watching tv -> channels -> channel setup -> auto tuning -> Aerial Digital 

2 - This reflection relates directly to my original question, which was to figure out watching ITV w/o need for additional hardware. It seems to me that Sony Bravia TVs lag others in supporting free to air channels after just connecting to the Wi-Fi (i.e. without connecting additional cables, etc.). In other words, there are fewer apps that support watching live TV compared to competition (in case of ITV -- while LG's webOS has an ITV app that allows you to watch live TV while ITV app on Sony / Android TVs only supports catch up TV. I was able to workaround this by casting from my laptop, but the quality wasn't optimal) 

3 - I didn't go down the route of exploring Roku (or Amazon Fire stick or other smart tv sticks) as I already had a 2nd gen Google chromecast 

4 - some people genuinely want to help, while others pretend - they try forcing a solution on you and mock you with sarcasm and non helpful analogies when you say "thank you but the solution doesn't work for me". I have an analogy -- My car already has 4 wheels. Please don't force me to put a few more and convert it into a lorry just because you have only ever driven a lorry. 

Peace and respect 

PM  

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

You chose my solution from the very first reply after saying you didn't want to use an aerial then you say I was unhelpful. I SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM FIRST POST AND YOU ARE STILL INSULTING ME