Join now - be part of our community!

XR-42A90K. Different Sized Bars on Sides When Playing DVD

profile.country.GB.title
Shetland
Explorer

XR-42A90K. Different Sized Bars on Sides When Playing DVD

I have just bought a Panasonic DP-UB820 DVD player and after connecting it up I played a DVD with an aspect ratio of 16:9. There were 2 narrow bars on the sides of the screen, the one on the left was 2 m wide and the one on the right was 1cm wide.  I know that for old films there are often wide bars on the side but this was a much more recent film.   Is this normal ?

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

profile.country.GB.title
Shetland
Explorer

Thanks. I don’t think it should be that as the TV is only a couple of weeks old and this is the first DVD I have played. 

what setting should I use when watching a DVD ?

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Have you tried disabling pixel shift? I'm referring to the different sizes of the lateral black bars (there could always be something, to fill the entire Screen to the limit you should try to intervene on the Player Settings as well as the TV, at Image Format level).
profile.country.GB.title
Shetland
Explorer

Panasonic recommend enabling Pixel Shift to prevent image burn

I am really trying to establish if this is an aspect ration issue, should I be changing this each time I load a DVD ?   Is it an issue with the DVD player rather than the TV.  I need to uncerstand where the problem lies as I might need to return the faulty product while I can

profile.country.GB.title
Shetland
Explorer

I have just tried pixel shift and it didn’t make any difference

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Agreed the Aspect Ratio but the distance from the edge would still be the same both on the right and on the left.
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Shetland, most probably that's the aspect ratio, try changing it as described here

profile.country.GB.title
Shetland
Explorer

Hi

Thanks.  When it go to this option it is greyed out and a message comes up which says feature not available

profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hey @Shetland, you can check this link, it is going to explain how you can change the aspect ratio on your TV and what are the limitations. I hope this helps