Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube HDR... finally

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

YouTube HDR... finally

YouTube HDR content is finally available!

You will find a playlist here. However, these clips will be played as SDR on Sonys for now.

With youtube-dl you can find vp9.2 encodings for those clips:

330          webm       256x144    144p60  156k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 2.38MiB
331          webm       426x240    240p60  256k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 3.87MiB
332          webm       640x360    360p60  485k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 7.35MiB
333          webm       854x480    480p60  909k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 13.83MiB
334          webm       1280x720   720p60 1991k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 28.18MiB
335          webm       1920x1080  1080p60 3201k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 49.70MiB
336          webm       2560x1440  1440p60 11166k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 170.23MiB
337          webm       3840x2160  2160p60 20122k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 335.45MiB

Those are webm however which the native Video app won't play.

We will see whether we will get support for it soon, even for the early 2016 models with the old MediaTek SoC from last year. At least Sony promised that back at CES:

Spoiler
YouTube will also start streaming in HDR quality later this year, using a new VP9-Profile 2 codec that brings HDR support to Google’s VP9 video format. Sony’s Motoi Kawamura, Head of TV Product Planning for Sony Europe, confirmed to FlatpanelsHD that the 2016 models will support VP9-Profile 2 and be capable of streaming YouTube in HDR. We saw a demo at CES and it looked very good.

Source

401 REPLIES 401
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

Some information:

Sony TVs cannot detect HDR content from YouTube because its software does not support this format.

Sony is planning to add HLG HDR compatibility in VP9 format for YouTube for 4K HDR televisions (the Z9D/X83D/X80D/S80D/X75D/X70D series) in the future.

Unfortunately there is no ETA or timescale set for this as of yet.

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Or with other words, the HDR capable spring 2016 models (XD85/XD93/XD94) will never be able to play VP9.2 streams like YouTube HDR. That's what I call perfect mismanagement. XD93/XD94 users must really feel betrayed. They buy an expensive TV which can actually reproduce HDR from a panel point-of-view, just to find out a few months later that these models are already outdated. And the cheap entry-level models which have been released 3-4 months later will get support (XD70/XD75/XD80/XD83). Congratulations Sony. When did you become such a backstabbing company?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Anonymous

About Sony software, this is a GOOGLE software and Google is responsible for all software issues that we have.

Google is responsible to solve all these issues.

Sony is planning nothing. This is Google orders and Sony has many many limitations.

Sony became a prisoner of Google. I begin to like Microsoft and Apple that I always hated.

Never a google device again. The last one broke to pieces on a wall.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@MiCal1967

First off, the issue we are discussing here is hardware and not software related. Sony promised a faster processor with VP9.2 and Android Marshmallow for the 2016 models. Fact is, the March 2016 models are based on the BRAVIA 2015 plattform and Sony did not communicate that. There is nothing that Google can do about the hardware's inability to decode VP9.2 (YouTube HDR).

I don't know about your Sony TV, but mine is still on Lollipop (5), with Sony still struggling to get Marshmallow (6) on and Nougat (7) already released by Google. So how can you blame Google for the software on Sony TVs when they are several iterations behind?

No Smart TV platform really shines in my opinion. Android TV is not that bad after all. The really bad stuff on Sony TVs in fact is Sony custom software (like the Live TV integration) and Sony/MediaTek drivers. Again not Google to blame.

I don't know why you still come to Sony's defence with all those facts on the table.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Goodmorning @Kuschelmonschter

I am not defending Sony. I could say that I blame Sony for the choice of a Google OS on their televisions. Sony could have developed its own Software as did in the past and not to be a victim of Google Rights on any kind of developing or modification.

Now about processors and softwares. When a processor is designed the backwards software compatibility is self-evident and imposed(behove). When a new OS or software is created, then backwards hardware compatibility is self-evident and imposed. At least for a logical period. This could be five to ten years. A two years old processor is not logic, not to be fully supported by every kind of software that is released. Especially since this is a HTML5 designed. If this is not supported, then something else is happening.

We buy TVs that cost to us, as customers, 1500 euros and more. The real hardware cost is no more than 300 to 500 euros. The rest is rights. Google rights mostly, Netflix rights, YouView rights etc etc. And what do these companies want ? Change your device every one or two years because this is not compatible with new YouTube :smileylaugh::smileylaugh:. This is silly and did not happen in the past. This happens only nowdays that China produces extremely cheap electronics. They could easily add a socket on their main boards for the processor and/or graphics processor, so that you or a technician could change, same with PC motherboards, but they don't. Why? Because they want people to change their devices more frequently.

I can't believe that Google has become the Master of the Planet:smileyconfused:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I don't know whether I got everything right that you just wrote. Three things I have to say though:

(1)

Sony should have never put such an old SoC on 2016 models. And they did in fact communicate otherwise on CES. So I assume that MT5890 on XD85/XD93/XD94 was kind of an emergency solution.

(2)

Google, Netflix, YouTube,... have no interest in hardware sells. They sell ads and content. So they want to be on as much hardware as possible. But sometimes you have to make that cut in order to move on and keep innovating.

(3)

Still my point is that the really aweful software on Sony TVs is actually from Sony and not from Google.

As for Android updates, all current Sony hardware is perfectly compatible with Nougat. And nobody keeps Sony back from deploying it.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

No1

Your are right. A new processor should be implemented on 2016 models. Maybe and on 2015 models.

No2

They earn more than you believe. Check your Remote control:smileyhappy:

No3

Sony has many limitations is developing on Google's OS. This is also the reason why other manufacturers are cautious on implementing Android.

and I would like some day to see Windows too .... Just to compare and see the difference.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

No3

Sony has many limitations is developing on Google's OS. This is also the reason why other manufacturers are cautious on implementing Android.

I actually don't agree based on my own observations. Because if that was really the case, Google would have said that Sony should just implement the Android TV Input Source APIs and hook up to Google's Live Channels app. Instead Sony replaced or modified Google's app to do their own thing, which they ***** up entirely though. With respect to Live TV, I would like to see more Google software and less Sony software.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Yes that's true.

Live Channels is a mess, both Digital and Satellite, mostly Satellite, but I cannot figure out who is really responsible for this poorness, "slowness" and malfunction. I have asked Google about this specific issue and they never replied. Sony replies but does not or cannot solve.

Anyway, we can live with this kind of issues and limitations for the time being, but we must be very careful with next TV choice and buy. Technology is moving very fast. Faster than our wallet :laughing:

Have a look on what I mean about the hardware cost:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1475581103

Everything is a small, low cost board ......

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Kodi project now has some VP9-profile 2 samples for download.