Join now - be part of our community!

YOUVIEW DE-CRIPPLER. A FIX YAY!!

YOUVIEW DE-CRIPPLER. A FIX YAY!!

I spoke with Sony Support today. Two items of Good News.

1.  A fix for the disasterous Youview set crippler

2. A help guide for your TV so you can see how to use it (ie, not just the silly set up pamphlet).

OK here goes - as advised straight from the SONY horse's mouth - it worked for me!

1.  To regain my satelite and terrestrial channels without Youview and with the EPGs for both intact, I was told to reset the factory setting via Home/Settings / "Storage and Reset".  I just reset the whole box. It went through a switch off and restart/reboot sequence then I was able to re-setup the digital terrestrial and satellite channels as originally provided.

WARNING.  Later in the process the deadly YouView appears and asks if you want to select it.  There is no option but to click NEXT (clicking BACK just keeps you in the setup loop). After clicking next just keep selecting the options that say no no no.  It is quite persistent in its belief that you probably want it but just keep telling it to go away and it will eventualy stop asking.  Result!!

The only minor issue is that Youview remains as an icon, in the home area, ready to taunt you into installing it again sometime.  KEEP WELL CLEAR!  🙂

2.  The Help Manual

This is unhelpfully called a help manual when what it really is is a guide to what the set does and how to use it.  Just go here and insert you set's model number then select the HTML Help Guide for your set. It tells you how to use the darn thing!  The "User Guide" in pdf format is just the stupind start up pamphlet. Result again!!

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/hub/prd-tvhc-tv

Happy viewing everyone

PA

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
Tags (1)
23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
Penpal1999

Update!

All my problems have been resolved in the most amazing way.

A few months ago my Sony TV fell foul of the dreaded 6 blinks, and failed to turn on whatever I tried. Off it went for repair as I had luckly paid a support agreement. Would not have expected such an expensive TV to break down in less than two years, but we are talking about Sony 2015 smart TV here.

Well long story short, they lost my TV! Compansation was very good, and I now have a Samsung QLED. I am so happy!

Since I got it: The Samsung has not crashed once. The sat function has not been disabled. SD picture quality is back to watchable. It has not turned itself on from standby.

So nice having a TV that works like a TV again.

If you have a 2015 Sony, and you feel the bottom of the panel is hot, then I suggest you get it covered for repair. 6 blinks will not be far away.

Regards and good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
Shazandcolin
New

I also wanted to use satellite and catchup and are very disappointed with Sony.  I have now been allowed to return my Sony tv and are getting a cheaper LG model that does what it should.  Thank you to my local curry’s store.  

profile.country.GB.title
PoisonousMonkey
Explorer

This app is so crap. I can't use All4 or ITV hub without youview but when youview is enabled it removes access to satellite channels!  I just wish I could return the TV but I've had it over a month now. Constant headaches since getting it. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hoshsadiq is your friend.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…