Join now - be part of our community!

Youview pause on Bravia

Twampy
Explorer

Youview pause on Bravia

Hi all,

I have a Sony Bravia 4k telly with built in youview, how do I get it to pause like a normal youview box.

Are there any updates in the pipeline that will let me do this?

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Pausing Live TV which is known as "Time Shift" is not available on Sony TVs that support YouView im afraid.  Currently to use DVR features like recording TV shows, you must disable YouView as Sony/YouView have not implemented native recording features like a YouView box.

I believe Timeshift has been implemented in Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) but its in early stages and I do not think it will be implemented in YouView anyhow - See HERE.

In Android 7.0 (Nougat) - Google gets more serious on DVR features - but Sony has not stated yet whether 2015/2016 TVs will move to Android 7.  See HERE for more info.

Cheers

Twampy
Explorer

OK thank you.

Right I have a youview box I can pause on but I want to use my nice new Bravia remote to control it. is there a way to do that as I don't want to use 2 remotes.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Twampy wrote:

OK thank you.

Right I have a youview box I can pause on but I want to use my nice new Bravia remote to control it. is there a way to do that as I don't want to use 2 remotes.

No there isn't, I'm afraid, as the Sony remote is not a learning remote.

But you can program your YouView remote to work at least some functions on the Sony TV. See your printed youView Guide for details, as how you do this varies from YouView model to model, and you don't say which model you have.

Or you could buy a multi-device remote - Harmony do a nice range - and program that to operate the full gamut of functions on both devices.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I believe Timeshift has been implemented in Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) but its in early stages and I do not think it will be implemented in YouView anyhow

I am afraid that this change does not affect Sony at all. Sony does not use the original Google Live Channels app but instead decided to put its own TV functionality inside, probably having ported it over from older models. Sony now maintains its own fork of the app, most probably not even implementing the APIs defined by Google for timeshift/PVR/...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that info @Kuschelmonschter  - Sony is aware that this is a requested feature anyhow, hopefully this can be implemented at some point in the future. 

profile.country.GB.title
samwilliam925
New

I don't understand why this feature isn't available, i thought i'd bought a modern smart TV, apparently i haven't.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

The only purpose of the Youview app on Sony Android TVs is to integrate the UK catch-up players with the programme guide. Other than that it is useless - it hasn't even been updated to the new Youview interface design.

If you want record & replay facilities you have to disable the app & attach a HDD to the USB port, and record via the (standard) Freeview programme guide..... or attach a real Youview box.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@samwilliam925

What other modern smart TVs do you think let you pause live TV?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

royabrown schrieb:

@samwilliam925

What other modern smart TVs do you think let you pause live TV?

Like that?