Join now - be part of our community!

AVHD Files

profile.country.en_GB.title
NR2013
Visitor

AVHD Files

Hi, I am trying to burn DVDs from AVHD files, is there an easy way to do this. 

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Could you describe the devices you're using to do this? At a minimum we probably need to know the camera model, computer OS, the app(s) you're using and whether you're burning with an external device, in order to help you out.

Briefly outlining some of the steps you've already attempted would help a lot too :cool:

Cheers

Mick

NR2013
Visitor

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I have a Sony HDR-XR105E HD camcorder, my laptop runs Windows 7 and the video files are imported using the Sony PMB software. I am using the internal DVD writer on my laptop.

The files are obviously huge and I dont expect to get hours and hours on a DVD disc, I would like to make short DVDs to give to family and friends to watch on standard DVD players. I don't mind losing some of the quality if I have to.

Do these files need to be converted (to mp4) or can I record directly to a DVD recorder (if I buy one).

Thanks

Nick

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hi Nick :slight_smile:

You can download software that will compress the video to a standard that looks good on a regular DVD, and then create the DVD from the same program that is ready for burning on your internal DVD writer. There are various packages of software available for this, but a good start would be to download a free program called handbrake from this link:

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Once this has been installed, it can handle the conversion of the large AVCHD files into manageable MP4 files (the website also has a user manual). This may take a while for each file, but the result is that you will be left with an MP4 that you can then drop into a wide variety of video editing programs. Windows Live Movie Maker is free to download, and it will handle everything from basic editing to burning the final DVD.

FYI, Windows Live Movie Maker can be downloaded from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/movie-maker-get-started

Thanks,

Simon