Join now - be part of our community!

can i get a wireless mic for sony dcr-sr30e

profile.country.en_GB.title
ray-lee1
Visitor

can i get a wireless mic for sony dcr-sr30e

hi,im wanting to film a fitness instructor for a project im working on, and i was hoping its possible to get some sort of lapel mic for the instructor to wear as im thinking the internal mic may not be good enough.

i dont really want to go to the expense of hiring a bigger camera for a few days so im exploring this first.

thanks

ray

7 REPLIES 7
Mick2011
New

Hi Ray, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

According to the technical specifications for the DCR-SR30e, there is no audio input jack, so you can't use an external mic; you'd need to upgrade to at least an SR50e for that functionality.

Maybe record the audio separately and sync them in the edit :thinking: it can give you very respectable audio quality, even with a quite basic clip-on mic wired to a small MP3 recorder.

Let me know if you need any help working something out.

Cheers

Mick

ray-lee1
Visitor

hi, thanks for the reply,very helpfull, as i dont really want the expense of buying another cam, it may be easier to try the mp3 root. i'll try and have a look and see what best software to use to link them together.and have a look on ebay for a mp3 recorder with clip on mic, unless someone can point me in right direction

ive been doing some looking about and would you say this one would be ok

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150773271476

i've asked the seller a question,whether there is a usb on this to get the audio onto the laptop unless i use the memory card in the laptop to transfer it over.

thanks again

ray

Message was edited by: ray-lee1

Mick2011
New

Yes, that's the sort of thing. I see there's software included for PC/Mac, so presumably it has some connectivity and either a USB port or removable SD card would be fine. Store the MP3 somewhere on your PC and import it into your video editing software.

Editing the audio/video might need something more than a basic video editor, but you don't need anything special. The procedure is the same as adding a music soundtrack and all but the most basic will let you do this.

Good luck :cool:

Mick

ray-lee1
Visitor

hi, that one i saw was playback only.no connection to pc,but i'm just gonna have a look around for something thats at a reasonable price,then with some of the profit i hope to make from dvd sales, the reinvest into a better camera for the job.

thanks

ray

ray-lee1
Visitor

i've been thinking of a way round it, and i'm thinking of the instructor not having a mic on , but film the dvd as normal and do all the editing i need, then have her do a voice over at certain points in the dvd for certain fitness instruction.

one thing i need to know is,  is it possible to  turn the mic off on the camera,as i cant seem to find it in the manual.

thanks

ray

Mick2011
New

You can only set the mic level to [Low] in the Standard Set settings. Again, a jack plug inserted in an external mic socket would mute the audio, but without one of them you need your software to come to the rescue once more.

Most editing programmes should let you mute and overdub your audio. Your revised plan sounds like a good solution but you still need to find something with that functoinality, which shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck with it all. If you do end up shopping for a better camera, do consider getting a DSLR. Apart from producing very professional-looking video, you normally get decent external audio options and of course a nice stills camera as well :cool:

Cheers

Mick

ray-lee1
Visitor

thanks mick for your advice. on pinnacle 15 theres an option to record a voice over and do all the editing.

im meeting with her tomorrow to see what we can come up with.

i'm going to go down the voice over route first.then the mp3 mic route if it doesnt go well.

once i make the sales i want i will reinvest to a better cam like you said.

thanks

ray